front sprocket washer bent?

6 replies to this topic
  • bradwelch

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:28 PM

the washer on my front sprocket is bent around the edges. I assume it is from my chain. I cant post a pic yet but I wonder if it could cause a larger problem if I ride with it like this. any thoughts? Its on a 2011 yz 450f.

• bradwelch

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:47 PM

How bad is this? Should I replace before I ride again or will it get me by for a minute longer? I have no idea how long it has been like this. I am replacing my chain but don't have the money for a washer right now. $22.000414142202.jpg

• xy500

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Are you referring to the lock washer? (Between sprocket and nut)
If so, that's how it should be

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mikedabike

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:31 PM

The washer is designed to "fold" over the nut to prevent it from backing off.  I think it is bent in 3 places so no matter how it lines up 1 side can be bent against the nut.  Unless you are referring to something else.

• YZ2Smoker98

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:38 PM

That washer is perfectly fine... That's the point of the lock washer. To "LOCK" the nut from spinning off.

Don't need to post twice within the hour.

What about the sprockets? Are they new? If not most people including myself replace chain and sprockets at the same time. Reduces wear. The front doesn't look to bent over badly, but I'm no expert..

Edited by YZ2Smoker98, April 14, 2014 - 09:44 PM.

• YZ2Smoker98

Posted April 14, 2014 - 09:41 PM

You don't have to post the same question twice within an hour. The picture on the other post is perfectly normal. The washer is made that way. To bend over an edge of the nut to hold it in place. Is this your first bike? I'm 90% sure this is how all countershaft sprockets are...

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted April 15, 2014 - 10:16 AM

I just use each folding tab one time each. Metal weakens and breaks when you bend it back and forth. So I get 3 uses out of the locking washer and then will get a new one.

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.