Replace the Scary Stock 2012 WR450F MX51 tires.

Tires & Wheels Tires Dunlop Tires MX51 Intermediate Terrain Tire

77 replies to this topic
  • DRS

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:22 PM

mx51 front/rear on my 2 stroke, no crashes,, miracle.. 

mx51 front/rear on my 4 stroke, no crashes.. miracle..  pay attention to the two wheel drift at the end, without crashing. and on a ktm. lol

Edited by DRS, April 15, 2014 - 12:25 PM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:28 PM

kinda sorta like you are a ktm troll?  and yeah, i made it all up just for you.   but the question still remains, how many sets of dunlops mx51's have you ran?  and on what bikes?  how did you come to have this very informed opinion of the tire, certainly you cannot establish such a strong opinion unless you have many many many hours on the tire you are potentially slamming as junk..  or are simply the internet voice for mx512 haters?  where does all your knowledge come from if not just regurgitating what you've heard others say?   maybe they just suck on hondas because hondas don't handle anyways...   i saw a guy last weekend crash on a honda, and he had bridgestones on, so obviously hondas are junk, right?  or perhaps it was his grips, or his seat, or perhaps his front fender that made him crash...        anyway you slice it, hondas are junk and crash in corners.

You are lying about the class action suit, face it.

You will not be able to come up with any proof to your claim.

That is the definition of a troll; someone stating things only to get a rise or create controversy. 

I never trashed the tire, you did not read my post. I like the tire, just not for my areas terrain.

That video was demonstrating a type of terrain.

That trail went to this trail, called the Sedona Ridge / Macolm Smith Trial.

You should look it up, and then come out and ride it on your VStrom.

• DRS

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:33 PM

That is the definition of a troll; someone stating things only to get a rise or create controversy. 

I never trashed the tire, you did not read my post. I like the tire, just not for my areas terrain.

i don't own a v-strom..  and you obviously didn't read my post, i admitted i made it up the race story just for you..   derp.. follow your own advice..    is the fact that it's called malcom smith supposed to scare me?  is this what an internet dick measuring content looks like?

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:36 PM

mx51 front/rear on my 2 stroke, no crashes,, miracle.. 

mx51 front/rear on my 4 stroke, no crashes.. miracle..  pay attention to the two wheel drift at the end, without crashing. and on a ktm. lol

Oh my god  

You coast through the corners, of course you don't loose traction

:banghead:  :facepalm:  :lol:

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, April 15, 2014 - 12:42 PM.

• DRS

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Oh my god  

Oh my god

yes, you are correct, i do carry a lot of momentum into corners and do not have it pinned through corners like in your vid.

i'm just shocked at the speeds you are going in your videos, no wonder you lose the front end with the mx51.  i would love to see you ride in the woods.

i obviously was not going fast enough to crash...

Edited by DRS, April 15, 2014 - 01:30 PM.

• woods-rider

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:41 PM

That's weird... I've not chunked a single knob off of mine. Though I did replace both ends before they were worn out as I wanted to change profiles.

What profile and pressure are you running??

It was the stock tire, not 100% sure on the profile.

I usually ran about 12 psi in the front, but would up it to 15 for central Oregon (read desert) riding. The center knobs were barely worn, but I was missing 75% of the side knobs on the front.

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:42 PM

Obvious class action sarcasm was obvious.

So by your definition, your 'KTM Is ruining offroad riding' thread is most definitely trolling. Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:57 PM

Obvious class action sarcasm was obvious.

So by your definition, your 'KTM Is ruining offroad riding' thread is most definitely trolling. Mr Pot, meet Mr Kettle.

No, that thread about KTM ruining off road riding still holds. 
It's a fact that they sell poor handling underpowered bikes at a 30% higher price then everyone else, just because they are 5% lighter. 

I'm done with this thread

Not enough brain cells here to bother.

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 01:35 PM

No, that thread about KTM ruining off road riding still holds. 
It's a fact that they sell poor handling underpowered bikes at a 30% higher price then everyone else, just because they are 5% lighter. 

I'm done with this thread

Not enough brain cells here to bother.

No, that thread is THE definition of trolling, even by your own admission.  You can't back up half of the bs you posted in there, your claims are in fact quite laughable.

KTM is 'ruining offroad riding' by selling a host of offroad-specific bikes for pretty much every type of offroad riding you'd care to do? And what are the Big 4 doing to improve offroad riding? Jack and squat. Let's see, for Suzuki and Kawasaki, it's 'you'll ride an MX bike and like it!' For Honda, it's 'you'll ride a 10 year old bike and like it!" Only Yamaha can claim to be catering to the offroad rider, and is why I bought one. But just so you know, the only other bikes I was considering were KTMs.

Poor handling? Well just because YOU couldn't set one up right, doesn't mean nobody can. I can tell you there are plenty of riders who would strongly disagree with you. Unless of course you're implying they're all clueless and are in fact riding ill-handling bikes yet think they're awesome?

Underpowered? Bwahahahahaha that right there proves you don't WTF you're talking about. Check any of the MX or offroad shootouts, and who consistently has the highest HP... KTM. Combine that with the lightest bikes, and they anything BUT underpowered.

Your butthurt hatred of KTM is frankly quite amusing in just how misguided and wrong it is. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinions, right? Just don't go throwing your opinion around like it's gospel, because it's not.

• DirtRider500R

Posted April 15, 2014 - 01:47 PM

I personally can't stand MX51s on the front (90/90-21, CR500). It doesn't work well at all in the stuff I race in; sand and mud. However, I do have a buddy that SWEARS by them (CR500, CRF450). I'll follow him into a corner, and only he will make it out without crashing.  :excuseme:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 04:02 PM

I personally can't stand MX51s on the front (90/90-21, CR500). It doesn't work well at all in the stuff I race in; sand and mud. However, I do have a buddy that SWEARS by them (CR500, CRF450). I'll follow him into a corner, and only he will make it out without crashing.  :excuseme:

Well that does make sense, as the the MX51 is an intermediate tire, and sand is not the MX51's forte. The MX31 might suit you better?

As for your buddy making it through the same corner on the same bike & tires.. well it ain't the tires. :ride:

• vlxjim

Posted April 15, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Wow!!! who knew it was going to be this bad. Look it's true what TheKoolAidMadeMeSick said. In the Southern California deserts and mountains it's not dirt, it is sand it's like little micro balls underneath the tires and if you don't have the right tire combo it is scary. Riding in sand washes, crossing sand washes ripping down access roads. For me the MX51 just doesn't track. On the trails it does not matter what you're on a downhill turn or uphill turn loading or unloading the front tire. The MX51will just unhook without waring. Now for somebody else or for track conditions or places that have real soil I bet the MX51 is great.

That being said I got on the phone to talk to a friend who owns a shop. His son answered who is a test rider for Dirt Bike Magazine and a sponsored rider. I told him what was going on and the first thing he said is, that is the behavior of the MX51. He said it was either a love or hate tire. And that he has been testing the new MX32 and MX52 tires. And if I could wait the MX52 will be available to the public in the next few weeks. He said that the new Dunlap's track better are much more predictable and are nice improvement over the MX31/51. I was also told that for my type of riding that I should take a hard look at the AT81 or the Maxxis Desert IT. 

I got on here to see what others that feel as I do, did. Not here to hurt anyones feelings. If I live up north I would probably love this tire. Heck you guys up north have dirt. I had to ride up a slick faced rock last week thought that I was at Moab. I was worried I was going spin it halfway up and come back down wrong way.

So with out starting a fight whats the thought on the AT81 or the Maxxis Desert IT. I was told the the Maxxis would last a long time but might not be quite as good as the AT81. But it would be hard to tell. 

Edited by vlxjim, April 16, 2014 - 08:03 AM.

• DirtRider500R

Posted April 15, 2014 - 04:23 PM

Well that does make sense, as the the MX51 is an intermediate tire, and sand is not the MX51's forte. The MX31 might suit you better?

As for your buddy making it through the same corner on the same bike & tires.. well it ain't the tires. :ride:

He's got a year MX experience on me. I know it isn't the tires :p I plan on getting a set of Pirellis for sand riding. ;)

• RMK800

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:19 PM

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397621597.088162.jpg

I tried the Desert IT and didn't like the way it wore. Like it only wore flat. I do ride a mix of Desert and rocky trails. It's hard to say for me because I haven't tried a lot of different tires. Right now I am riding on a MX71. So far I like it better then the Maxxis, wear seems more rounded. I won't know for sure until I get another 6 or so rides in.

• vlxjim

Posted April 16, 2014 - 07:46 AM

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397621597.088162.jpg

I tried the Desert IT and didn't like the way it wore. Like it only wore flat. I do ride a mix of Desert and rocky trails. It's hard to say for me because I haven't tried a lot of different tires. Right now I am riding on a MX71. So far I like it better then the Maxxis, wear seems more rounded. I won't know for sure until I get another 6 or so rides in.

How many rides or how much riding did you have on these? I don't think I would let mine get that bad.

Posted April 16, 2014 - 08:00 AM

IMO the Desert IT's are very stiff but wear good. I would recommend them more for higher speed desert/Dual sport stuff. For single track riding the rear is descent but the front I could feel had no flex to it so traction was at the low end of the scale. That said, I'm one of those guys who adapts and deals with things so even the MX51 tire in question I really didn't have any issues with other than it wears down to fast.

• GP1K

Posted April 16, 2014 - 08:08 AM

Wow!!! who knew it was going to be this bad. Look it's true what TheKoolAidMadeMeSick said. In the Southern California deserts and mountains it's not dirt, it is sand it's like little micro balls underneath the tires and if you don't have the right tire combo it is scary. Riding in sand washes, crossing sand washes ripping down access roads. For me the MX51 just doesn't track. On the trails it does not matter what you're on a downhill turn or uphill turn loading or unloading the front tire. The MX51will just unhook without waring. Now for somebody else or for track conditions or places that have real soil I bet the MX51 is great.

That being said I got on the phone to talk to a friend who owns a shop. His son answered who is a test rider for Dirt Bike Magazine and a sponsored rider. I told him what was going on and the first thing he said is, that is the behavior of the MX51. He said it was either a love or hate tire. And that he has been testing the new MX32 and MX52 tires. And if I could wait the MX52 will be available to the public in the next few weeks. He said that the new Dunlap's track better are much more predictable and are huge improvement over the MX31/51. I was also told me that for my type of riding that I should take a hard look at the AT81 or the Maxxis Desert IT. 

I got on here to see what others that feel as I do, did. Not here to hurt anyones feelings. If I live up north I would probably love this tire. Heck you guys up north have dirt. I had to ride up a slick faced rock last week thought that I was at Moab. I was worried I was going spin it halfway up and come back down wrong way.

So with out starting a fight whats the thought on the AT81 or the Maxxis Desert IT. I was told the the Maxxis would last a long time but might not be quite as good as the AT81. But it would be hard to tell. 

So you're saying SoCal has the right conditions that happen to be the MX51s Achilles heel? Having not ridden there, I'll have to take your word for it. Eastern WA also has desert conditions (hence the Desert 100 that just ran a couple weeks ago) but not quite like SoCal. I'm still curious though, did you ever try a different profile? Though that said, I would think for high speed desert riding, you'd want the flatter profile of the 80/100?

I guess my peeve is all the knee-jerk unjustified hate on the MX51. Ok I get it, it doesn't work in SoCal desert. Well the entire US is not SoCal desert, so just because it's no good there, doesn't mean it's a crappy tire. Trials tires don't work good for high speed desert riding either, are they crap? Hardly. I'll still stand by my statement that a good chunk of people bashing the MX51s (or any tire, for that matter) have no idea what they're talking about, and couldn't tell the difference if you were somehow able to swap their tires mid-ride without them knowing. When you ask guys where their sag is set, how their clickers are set and what pressures they're running, and they have no friggin clue, yet they'll say 'those damn MX51s suck!" their opinion is worthless and meaningless. Not saying that's you, just saying.

I did see the new MX32 and MX52, but guess what? Rears are 19" only, so no love for us offroad guys. :(

As for the AT81s, if I hadn't just put a fresh set of tires on my WR not long ago, I'd be buying some right now. Because at the end of the day, MX31/51/71/whatever are still MX tires, designed for MX, and we have to try and pick one that suits our riding condtions. Sounds like the AT81 was designed from the ground up to be an offroad (not MX) tire. My buddy just picked up a set, not sure he's even mounted them yet, but I'm eager to hear how they work once he does.

• vlxjim

Posted April 16, 2014 - 11:27 AM

NOoooo What I'm saying is that the MX51 makes for a scary ride were I was riding. I'm sure if it was in good dirt or a MX track were they bring in five or more types of dirt the MX51 is great.

I was told that the 18" MX32/52 will be added to the line. They just needed to get the sizes for the racers first. 

• GP1K

Posted April 16, 2014 - 11:35 AM

Oh my god  

How did I miss this gem before? Your 'assessment' of DRS' riding speaks volumes about your riding knowledge/skill.

Cornering 101: Brake in, neutral apex, gas out. Applies to bikes, cars, you name it. But please, do tell how this 'on the gas all the way through the corner' technique actually works, I'm dying to know. I spose if you came to a near stop at the entrance, you could then gas it all the way around, but that would be butt slow way to ride. MOMENTUM IS YOUR FRIEND.

Not to mention that single track trail is way tighter and more technical than that jeep trail you were on, and he's STILL going faster than you were. I'd love to see you try to keep up.

• GP1K

Posted April 16, 2014 - 11:42 AM

NOoooo What I'm saying is that the MX51 makes for a scary ride were I was riding. I'm sure if it was in good dirt or a MX track were they bring in five or more types of dirt the MX51 is great.

I was told that the 18" MX32/52 will be added to the line. They just needed to get the sizes for the racers first. 

I think we're on the same page here. The MX51 just doesn't work in SoCal desert/sand. There is full-on sand in some places in Eastern WA, but that's not really where ride. We ride the foothills of the Cascades, on both sides. The MX51 works pretty good there, but I am very curious about the AT81s.

Ah ok, well that makes sense. If those are out by the time I need new rubber, I may have a tough choice on my hands...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.