Replace the Scary Stock 2012 WR450F MX51 tires.

Tires & Wheels Tires Dunlop Tires MX51 Intermediate Terrain Tire

77 replies to this topic
  • vlxjim

Posted April 14, 2014 - 06:17 PM

Whats the cool new or (go to) all a round California Desert tire? The stock MX51's (13psi) scare the heck out of me at times.  They let go with no warning at all and in sand washes oh my god. And if I hit the gas to wheelie the rear tire just spins. I'm needing something better before they kill me.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 14, 2014 - 06:52 PM

Yes, the 51 is a great tire....on perfect groomed dirt.

The 71 is a great tire....on hard pack.

I HIGHLY recommend Kenda Millville -2 for the rear, and the Bridgestone 403 90/100 front, or, the Kenda Washougal 'sticky' for the front (which I have not tried, but I've been told it's like cheating....)

Do you have a steering damper??

Posted April 15, 2014 - 05:35 AM

Whats the cool new or (go to) all a round California Desert tire? The stock MX51's (13psi) scare the heck out of me at times.  They let go with no warning at all and in sand washes oh my god. And if I hit the gas to wheelie the rear tire just spins. I'm needing something better before they kill me.

Going out on a limb here but did you recently purchase the 2012? If so the tires have been sitting on that bike since production 2- 2 1/2 years and where probably no good the day you bought it.

• vlxjim

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:19 AM

Yes, the 51 is a great tire....on perfect groomed dirt.

The 71 is a great tire....on hard pack.

I HIGHLY recommend Kenda Millville -2 for the rear, and the Bridgestone 403 90/100 front, or, the Kenda Washougal 'sticky' for the front (which I have not tried, but I've been told it's like cheating....)

Do you have a steering damper??

No damper been thinking about the Scotts. 

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 09:17 AM

Funny, my front end has never once just 'let go' for no reason or warning, unless I did something to cause it, and something that would happen no matter what tire was on it. But it's the cool thing these days to blame tires for rider error, I guess.

I don't get the hate for MX51s, it's just another Internet bandwagon for people to hop on. "I heard on the internet they suck, so they must suck, because the Internet said so". I'd bet my left nut the majority of people bagging on MX51s could not tell the difference if someone were to switch their tires out mid-ride without their knowledge. Guaranteed.

IMO the 'problem' with MX51s on the WR is the profile, not the tire. 80/100 profile is too flat. I switched to a 90/90 front and 110/100 rear and the bike steers quicker and has better feel for traction. Wear is good and they work everywhere I ride in the PNW, which is plenty of rocks, roots, hills, from sloppy mud to hardpack desert. Is it the IDEAL tire for any condition? Of course not. But it's a great all-around tire, IMO. I run 11/11 on mine BTW. Oh and I can yank wheelies anywhere, anytime, off the throttle or clutch, no problem.

But if you want a more desert-oriented tire, check out the AT81s.

Edited by GP1K, April 15, 2014 - 09:23 AM.

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 09:20 AM

Double post :foul:

Edited by GP1K, April 15, 2014 - 09:23 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 10:12 AM

Funny, my front end has never once just 'let go' for no reason or warning, unless I did something to cause it, and something that would happen no matter what tire was on it. But it's the cool thing these days to blame tires for rider error, I guess.

I don't get the hate for MX51s, it's just another Internet bandwagon for people to hop on. "I heard on the internet they suck, so they must suck, because the Internet said so". I'd bet my left nut the majority of people bagging on MX51s could not tell the difference if someone were to switch their tires out mid-ride without their knowledge. Guaranteed.

IMO the 'problem' with MX51s on the WR is the profile, not the tire. 80/100 profile is too flat. I switched to a 90/90 front and 110/100 rear and the bike steers quicker and has better feel for traction. Wear is good and they work everywhere I ride in the PNW, which is plenty of rocks, roots, hills, from sloppy mud to hardpack desert. Is it the IDEAL tire for any condition? Of course not. But it's a great all-around tire, IMO. I run 11/11 on mine BTW. Oh and I can yank wheelies anywhere, anytime, off the throttle or clutch, no problem.

But if you want a more desert-oriented tire, check out the AT81s.

I disagree with all of the above.

If you are not loosing front wheel traction, then you are riding too slow.

Just because you can't tell the difference does not mean there is not one.

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:12 AM

I disagree with all of the above.

If you are not loosing front wheel traction, then you are riding too slow.

Just because you can't tell the difference does not mean there is not one.

I stand by all my statements.

Of course I lose front wheel traction sometimes, who doesn't?  But I don't fly into a corner, slam on the front brake as I pitch it in, wash out the front and land on my ass, then turn around and blame my tires for an obvious rider error. Or are you implying that other, non-MX51 tires I could ride exactly like I described and they'd grip like on rails? Yeah right.

Just because some people fool themselves into thinking they can tell a difference (because the internet told them they should) doesn't mean they really can.

• DRS

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:19 AM

i've heard the same thing about the mx51, the tire cannot be ridden by talented riders, a noob with no skillz might be able to get away with it,  but every bike i have ever seen with mx51's on them crashes in every single corner. there is actually a class action suit against dunlop for that tire..    the dunlop cup last month at my local track, dunlop supplied tires to every rider in the AA and A classes, every single rider crashed in the first corner and all dnf'd, the cancelled the entire weekend, and are now suing dunlop for the contingency money.. crazy....

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:22 AM

I stand by all my statements.

Of course I lose front wheel traction sometimes, who doesn't?  But I don't fly into a corner, slam on the front brake as I pitch it in, wash out the front and land on my ass, then turn around and blame my tires for an obvious rider error. Or are you implying that other, non-MX51 tires I could ride exactly like I described and they'd grip like on rails? Yeah right.

Just because some people fool themselves into thinking they can tell a difference (because the internet told them they should) doesn't mean they really can.

I don't know what the hell you are talking about, why are you so angry and negative, and what are you contributing?

The OP asked for a tire upgrade option.

You claim his tires are not the problem

You are not riding on CA desert terrain, so your WA perspective is way off. 

We don't have 'dirt' in SoCal, we have varying versions of sand, and maybe some dirt mixed in. Maybe.

When your are riding at 50 mph in the high desert, and try to turn with the MX51 (any size) the front wheel will not track. Especially if it is a sand wash berm. 

If you are on an access road in Jawbone Canyon, you CANNOT turn at high speed, unless you turn with the rear wheel, when running a 51. The terrain is like microscopic ball bearings on glass.

If you go to a 71, it tracks better. 

If you go to a tire designed for the terrain, then even better.

To say that Just because some people fool themselves into thinking they can tell a difference (because the internet told them they should) doesn't mean they really can.     

is just your anger at something that I don't under stand.  

Who are 'some people' and who are 'they' ?  

It's all in your head.

Everything has a difference. The issues are do they matter, and do you care. 

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, April 15, 2014 - 11:23 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • woods-rider

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:29 AM

In my opinion, the MX51 tires have decent traction in many conditions, but the main reason I don't buy them is I found that they chunk a lot, especially the front. Turning hard just rips the side knobs off.

I like the rear AT81RC tire so far, have been running it for a few months.

Edited by woods-rider, April 15, 2014 - 11:30 AM.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:39 AM

i've heard the same thing about the mx51, the tire cannot be ridden by talented riders, a noob with no skillz might be able to get away with it,  but every bike i have ever seen with mx51's on them crashes in every single corner. there is actually a class action suit against dunlop for that tire..    the dunlop cup last month at my local track, dunlop supplied tires to every rider in the AA and A classes, every single rider crashed in the first corner and all dnf'd, the cancelled the entire weekend, and are now suing dunlop for the contingency money.. crazy....

What??

This is totally made up BS.

The tire is not defective, and there is no class action suit against Dunlop.

The tire works GREAT on certain terrain. 

You sir, are a TROLL.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:40 AM

No damper been thinking about the Scotts. 

Yeah, it's pretty much not an option in the SoCal..

You riding stress will drop 100% with it installed.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:43 AM

Here is a perfect example of terrain where the MX51 tire truly BLOWS:

Another thing to consider is your rebound adjustment on the fork. 

If the fork is moving/rebounding too slowly, and not tracking the terrain, it will make for terrible cornering traits.

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:56 AM

I don't know what the hell you are talking about, why are you so angry and negative, and what are you contributing?

The OP asked for a tire upgrade option.

You claim his tires are not the problem

You are not riding on CA desert terrain, so your WA perspective is way off. 

We don't have 'dirt' in SoCal, we have varying versions of sand, and maybe some dirt mixed in. Maybe.

When your are riding at 50 mph in the high desert, and try to turn with the MX51 (any size) the front wheel will not track. Especially if it is a sand wash berm. 

If you are on an access road in Jawbone Canyon, you CANNOT turn at high speed, unless you turn with the rear wheel, when running a 51. The terrain is like microscopic ball bearings on glass.

If you go to a 71, it tracks better. 

If you go to a tire designed for the terrain, then even better.

To say that Just because some people fool themselves into thinking they can tell a difference (because the internet told them they should) doesn't mean they really can.     

is just your anger at something that I don't under stand.  

Who are 'some people' and who are 'they' ?  

It's all in your head.

Everything has a difference. The issues are do they matter, and do you care. 

I'm not angry, I just get annoyed at all the hate for MX51s and that they are 'total junk' because they're not.

You're right, I don't have perspective on California terrain. But let me ask you this; what profile of MX51 were you running in the desert and sand washes? Hardly anyone ever talks about profile, but it's just as important if not more important than other aspects of a tire. The stock 80/100 profile is way too 'flat' IMO. Doesn't turn in well. Maybe it climbs out of ruts on an MX track better that way, I don't know, I don't ride MX. Case in point, I switched from the stock 80/100 to a 90/90 and it was immediately noticeable and better handling for my bike (2012 WR450). Same tire, just different profile, different performance. The bike turns in quicker, has better feel/traction.

I do realize that what works for me here in WA woods doesn't work for someone in CA desert, which is why I mentioned the AT81s. I have no personal experience with them (yet) but Dunlop does tout them as 'desert' tires. Eastern WA is also pretty much a desert, totally different than western WA. So for me, an 'intermediate' tire works pretty well. It's not the best at either end of the spectrum, but we ride such a variety of terrain here, so it does pretty good overall.

Come on, surely you've been on the Internet long enough to know exactly what I'm talking about. People love to jump on bandwagons, and that they have just as much feeling for what their tires are doing as Ryan Villopoto or James Stewart does. But they don't, not even kinda. So yeah, I'm sure there are people like the OP, who are riding in conditions that the MX51 is simply not well suited for. Does that make it a junk tire? Hardly. Trials tires are awesome on wet, rocky, rooty, muddy, snotty terrain. How would they fair in the open desert at high speeds? Not so well. Are they junk? Again, hardly.

Yet there is this internet bandwagon of MX51 hate, with all kinds of riders, even ones with maybe a year or two of riding under their belts at best, declaring them terrible and junk... like they could even tell the difference. They talk all kinds of shit about tires, yet ask them what their sag is set at, what pressures they're running, of if their bike is even sprung correctly for their weight, and they look at you like you have 3 heads. But by God, they can sure as shit tell those MX51 tires are junk! Been through the same thing with sport bikes. Guys that just HAD to have race slicks to go do track days, and I'd ride circles around them on street rubber. Yeah, keep telling yourself it's the tires, buddy.

So yeah, when I hear 'scary tires! They just let go for no reason!!" I take it with a grain of salt.

• DRS

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:00 PM

What??

This is totally made up BS.

The tire is not defective, and there is no class action suit against Dunlop.

The tire works GREAT on certain terrain. 

You sir, are a TROLL.

kinda sorta like you are a ktm troll?  and yeah, i made it all up just for you.   but the question still remains, how many sets of dunlops mx51's have you ran?  and on what bikes?  how did you come to have this very informed opinion of the tire, certainly you cannot establish such a strong opinion unless you have many many many hours on the tire you are potentially slamming as junk..  or are simply the internet voice for mx512 haters?  where does all your knowledge come from if not just regurgitating what you've heard others say?   maybe they just suck on hondas because hondas don't handle anyways...   i saw a guy last weekend crash on a honda, and he had bridgestones on, so obviously hondas are junk, right?  or perhaps it was his grips, or his seat, or perhaps his front fender that made him crash...        anyway you slice it, hondas are junk and crash in corners.

Edited by DRS, April 15, 2014 - 12:06 PM.

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:01 PM

In my opinion, the MX51 tires have decent traction in many conditions, but the main reason I don't buy them is I found that they chunk a lot, especially the front. Turning hard just rips the side knobs off.

I like the rear AT81RC tire so far, have been running it for a few months.

That's weird... I've not chunked a single knob off of mine. Though I did replace both ends before they were worn out as I wanted to change profiles.

What profile and pressure are you running??

• DRS

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:09 PM

If the fork is moving/rebounding too slowly, and not tracking the terrain, it will make for terrible cornering traits.

that is the terrain you ride? jeep trails?  lol..  it might as well be a fire road. sheesh...  i could ride a v-strom with street tires up that road.  thanks for posting, i just learned a lot.

Edited by DRS, April 15, 2014 - 12:10 PM.

• GP1K

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:10 PM

There are 4x4 trails in Eastern WA we ride that are pretty similar terrain. Just steeper hills and more loose shale rock, depending on where you are. I spose if I rode Eastern WA exclusively, I might choose my tires differently, though I still think my MX51s do ok, I just realize they aren't going to hook up so great on dry hardpack and such, and adjust my riding accordingly. *shrug*

• Slackkinhard

Posted April 15, 2014 - 12:12 PM

What race was this?

I think the MX51 is about the same as every other Dunlop tire I've ever run....it works fine for a ride maybe two, then it starts downhill and picks up speed.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.