Fork dust seal removal

4 replies to this topic
  • Russ_P

Posted March 26, 2001 - 04:11 AM

Does anyone have the hot tip and know the right tool(s) to use to remove the fork dust seals? I want to pack behind them with Litheum based grease and don't want to trash anything in the process.

Russ

------------------
'00 WR 400
UNCORKED, YZ TIMED
SNORKEL & LID REMOVED
STOP TRIMMED

• BULLDOG

Posted March 26, 2001 - 06:55 AM

I used a very small flat head screwdriver. I gently worked it between the cover and the tube, and the cover slid right off. No fuss, no muss. Just be careful as to how hard you work the screwdriver in. I can see where you could do damage if to forceful.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jj

Posted March 26, 2001 - 07:49 AM

Bulldog is right, use a small flat screwdriver. Like he said be very careful not to nick the seal, if you do you risk letting in more dust and dirt. Also be careful no to scratch the fork tube, if you do you risk leaking your fork oil.

Good luck!

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• west12

Posted October 29, 2010 - 02:37 AM

yzf 400 how to do forkseals

• WR450FGreg

Posted October 30, 2010 - 12:41 PM

I always use a (believe it or not) paint scraper.

Its way wider and thinner than any screwdriver I've got.
I wiggle it in under the seal and it comes out easily.

I think it would be pretty impossible to damage it using the scraper actually!

Greg

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.