XR 650R Batwing

3 replies to this topic
  • atreiou

Posted January 16, 2004 - 05:48 AM

Anyone have information, pics, or schemes that can help me to build a "batwing" for a friend of mine ?
it really works ?
laminar flow really help the engine ?

thanks to All

• needsprayer

Posted January 16, 2004 - 05:57 AM

Check out my link to see a homemade batwing.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • atreiou

Posted January 16, 2004 - 06:24 AM

I have already see your pics, but I don't understand very well the "track" of the wing...
heve pics of the batwing not installed ?

really works ?

• needsprayer

Posted January 16, 2004 - 08:59 AM

No pictures of the plate before installation, sorry.

It sits in front of an airbox cavity that allows a back eddy to form. You can see a plastic edge along the bottom that the plate follows. The plate sits vertically and the fit requires a little trial and error fashioning. I used cardboard first.

Does it work?

The intent is improve top end air/fuel mixture. If this was dynoed I would expect to see a change in the power curve. I haven't done any testing, except by the seat of my pants. :)

The mod didn't hurt anything, but I honestly can't say that it improved anything. I can say that power delivery is smooth and steady getting to 90+ mph and that is good enough for me.

My homemade design may be less than optimal. I fashioned a rather sharp bend as this was my first attempt. A more gradual bend may result in better air flow.

I also created an air intake cutout in the side panel that is a straight shot into the main cavity of the airbox (there is a picture of this), relying less on the portion of the airbox intake toward the rear of the bike.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.