How do I tell difference between these bikes?

5 replies to this topic
  • YZbumblebee

Posted April 12, 2014 - 11:14 PM

Hello all new guy here and have an interesting question. I have a new to me YZ which one I hope you can tell me. The title says 2000 in one area and 2005 in another the nomenclature is MX480. I see a non-stock cylinder in there and gent I bought it from says a big bore was put on. My guess is it's an 05 YZ450 with a big bore to a 480. Is there any way to confirm this visually? Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:52 AM

The tenth character of the VIN will tell you the year of the frame. "Y" is 2000, "1" is 2001, and so on. "5" would be an '05.

The engine can best be identified as to its generation by looking at the left side. Post a picture using the "more reply options" button.

• YZbumblebee

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:04 AM

I see a Y so that answers a couple of questions. Here's a pic tell me what you think please.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140413_090131.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2014 - 09:36 AM

That's a 426.  The giveaway is the left crankcase cover and the red hot start knob on the carb.  A 450 has a smaller flywheel cover and the hot start is operated from the handlebar. 

• YZbumblebee

Posted April 13, 2014 - 10:50 AM

Sweet thanks as far as the cylinder could they have replaced it with stock or could it be true they put a big bore on it? Last question and thank you first off you seem to be the YZ4XX master. I know 0 about the history of this motor. It starts good and no weird sounds but what should I be planning on replaceing with out knowing the condition of the motor?

• grayracer513

Posted April 13, 2014 - 05:31 PM

It could be a number of things.  It is a cylinder for use on the 400/426  engines. That can be seen by the use of inverted studs on the outside of the chain tunnel.  The 450 uses bolts in from the top.

Yamaha cylinders are marked on the front below the exhaust  with the engine size they're made for.  Other people like Athena made big bore cylinders, but most of them put their name on them.

There's no way to know what you should be planning to replace, at this point, without opening it up and having a look.  If you wanted, you could plan on a top end job (piston, rings, wrist pin, clips, timing chain), which would freshen up the engine and give you a look at it at the same time.  You wouldn't be able to order parts ahead until you found out what size it is.

Replacing the timing chain is something that should be done periodically for maintenance.  Yearly is pretty common. Doing that along with a clearance check is a good idea on a new-to-you bike in any case.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.