2012 wr450f gearing sm

6 replies to this topic
  • marconrh

Posted April 12, 2014 - 06:44 AM

want to be able to swap dirt wheels and supermoto wheels in a short time and with limited extra parts..

ordered stock oem hubs and lacing them with 17" pro wheels rims so stock speedo can be used.. can the stock speedo can be calibrated correctly with this setup? manual says you can adjust tire size. does anyone know if this works?

dirt setup im happy with stock 13/50
I would like to use same stock chain at 104 links.. I would like to have supermoto setup gearing taller with more topend..like 75mph without overreving. .what gearing ratios can you recommend ??

• funt

Posted April 12, 2014 - 02:05 PM

I have 15/43 with 17's.  Cruising at 45mph, I'm still in 4th.  Chugging along in 1st with the clutch out is about 7 or 8 mph.  I think I will stick with this gearing.  If I change, it won't be any taller.  I had to chop two links.  Check out the geometry chart on gearingcommander.com to help figure out how many links to use. 

• funt

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:17 PM

Actually, I can cruise in 5th at 45 on flat ground.  A few mph slower than that it starts lugging.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • marconrh

Posted April 13, 2014 - 07:18 PM

sorry 114 link..
checked out gearing commander..cool site..
replacing front with 14
keeping dirt rear at 50..and purchasing 44 for supermoto rear..so 14/50 dirt
14/44 supermotom.sound good??

• Jedmeister

Posted April 13, 2014 - 08:23 PM

it really depends on what you mean by supermoto.  Are you talking tight gocart track supermoto/more open high speed supermoto or just commuting to work etc.  I have a WR400 that does both weekend trail riding and a 35km each way commute to work (largely motorway speeds of 100-110kmh).  it came with 15/50 motard gearing but that was way!!! to short for highway speeds.  I am currently running 15/44, but it's still a little buzzy at 100/110 ie just above 6000 rpm.  I am looking at going taller again - 15 or 16 / 39 or 40 to bring the revs down to the mid 5000's.  The bike feels more at ease in in that range while still being torquey enough for overtaking etc.

• funt

Posted April 14, 2014 - 05:46 AM

sorry 114 link..
checked out gearing commander..cool site..
replacing front with 14
keeping dirt rear at 50..and purchasing 44 for supermoto rear..so 14/50 dirt
14/44 supermotom.sound good??

I think 6 teeth difference is too much for the same chain.  14/44 would be a little too low for my taste.

• funt

Posted April 29, 2014 - 02:37 PM

I have 15/43 with 17's.  Cruising at 45mph, I'm still in 4th.  Chugging along in 1st with the clutch out is about 7 or 8 mph.  I think I will stick with this gearing.  If I change, it won't be any taller.  I had to chop two links.  Check out the geometry chart on gearingcommander.com to help figure out how many links to use. 

I got a powercore and a power tuner.  I can cruise at 40 in 5th now.  I guess it broadened the powerband a little.  No regrets with the 15/43 sprockets.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.