Wondering if the WR is the right bike

7 replies to this topic
  • torkd14

Posted April 11, 2014 - 08:08 AM

I currently have a 2011 YZ450 and 2006 YZ450 that I race in the Southern Alberta CMRC cross country/ Hare scramble circuit. I'm looking to sell the 2011 and possibly purchase a 2012-14 (depending on what I can find) WR450. I've never really ridden a WR and from what everyone says they're just pigs but the new ones have really caught my eye. I'm just wondering if Ill regret the change from a powerhouse like the YZ to a WR.

After reading a few threads on WR's I see there can be a lot of sensor issues, is this as common as it looks?

Also what's the average price you guys have put in to make these bikes perform very well with no limitations like exhaust, new ECU, or any other important parts?

Thanks for the help guys, I may be a new WR member soon!

• mch

Posted April 11, 2014 - 12:51 PM

I bought a 12 WR450F in 2012, then later bought a 07 YZ450F as a backup bike since I was riding so much.  That being said, I just rode the WR last Saturday, and the YZ on Sunday.  They are pretty much stock, with the exception of the basic mods on the WR (ECU + Take out some exhaust parts), and the YZ has the Heavy Flywheel and that aftermarket aluminum end cap for the silencer.  Hands down, I prefer riding the WR over the YZ.  The YZ has a little more power, but nothing to write home about; the motors actually feel very similar.  The WR makes up for the minor loss of power in delivery.  The suspension on the YZ is better in whoops (They both use the same forks and springs, but valving is different) and hard hits, but the WR is better everywhere else and does a decent job through whoops.  The WR is a little front heavy, but not really a big deal unless racing MX.  Pushing it up the ramp into my truck is also a little harder on the WR.  It feels like it weighs an extra 20lbs (not when riding), and just doesn't seem to role as well as the YZ.   

• mc1hd

Posted April 11, 2014 - 05:34 PM

Big four strokes are cool and have their place but if you have grown up with two strokes there is no comparison.  Currently have a 12wr stripped down like a motocross bike (left the e-start) and it is still a heavy pig.  Owned a 09 yz450 and after some mods much prefered it over the wr.  Lots of money involved with the new wr's just to get them to run right plus the usuall mods to dial them into your terrain.  Personally I took a chance on one just because of the green sticker but have regretted it since day one.  Going back to a 300 Ktm xc asap. just my opinion not trying to p** any one off.

• torkd14

Posted April 18, 2014 - 06:30 AM

I bit the bullet and bought a 2012 WR450 with 830km on it. Haven't ridden it yet but it came with a z-start rekluse clutch and everything to open up power. Just wondering now, how do I shed weight on it lol? ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1397835407.931445.jpg

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:02 AM

You can take it down to being just short of a Yz with a wide ratio tranny.

http://www.thumperta...25 +pound +trim

• guru

Posted April 18, 2014 - 08:53 AM

"Also what's the average price you guys have put in to make these bikes perform very well with no limitations like exhaust, new ECU, or any other important parts?"

I put $100 on a comp ECU, $300 on a Powertuner, $300 on a Powercore pipe (many remove inner of stock pipe for free) $300 on a 3.0 gal tank, $100 for rad guards and $100 for a real skid plate.  I'm currently setting up a steering dampener, but this bike needs on less than my 2003.  I also set mine up with misc parts to plate her.  I couldn't be happier with this bike.  That said, I am not setting this bike up as a racer, so I don't mind a pound or two extra. 

Posted April 18, 2014 - 10:16 AM

"Also what's the average price you guys have put in to make these bikes perform very well with no limitations like exhaust, new ECU, or any other important parts?"

I put $100 on a comp ECU, $300 on a Powertuner, $300 on a Powercore pipe (many remove inner of stock pipe for free) $300 on a 3.0 gal tank, $100 for rad guards and $100 for a real skid plate.  I'm currently setting up a steering dampener, but this bike needs on less than my 2003.  I also set mine up with misc parts to plate her.  I couldn't be happier with this bike.  That said, I am not setting this bike up as a racer, so I don't mind a pound or two extra. 

Short of adding hand guards the bike is very ride able right off the floor. Above that its about what you want out of it (power, suspension, weight).

• mc1hd

Posted April 20, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Just curious torkd what direction have you chossen bike wise?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.