Replacing tank graghics ?

11 replies to this topic
  • logg

Posted January 11, 2002 - 03:34 AM

Can someone please give me advice on the best method for replacing the tank graghics and have them stay on ? I'm affraid if I do it wrong, the graghics won't stay on. Thanks in advanced

• flyinguitars

Posted January 11, 2002 - 04:17 AM

Make sure the tank is clean. Spray some windex on the back of the new graphics, apply to the tank, use a hair drier to heat the graphics while smoothing. Trust me, use the windex!
Mike

• humbertob

Posted January 11, 2002 - 05:57 AM

Don't use a hairdryer, it will toast a little your graphics, let that work for the sun, don't accelerate the process of burn or toast your graphics with a hairdryer. You can clean your tank with thiner, or alcohol, thiner is more recommended because is more strong to remove sticky material and is more volatile so it will dry almost inmediately, then apply your graphics with plain water not Windex, windex contains amonia and that kill the 3M glue, so use plain water. The water is only used to easy handle and position the graphics on your tank. Factory Effex and One Industries make a set of graphics with holes on them to make the graphics bubble free, so they are more recommended too !
Good Luck Pal ! :)

• eBayThumper

Posted January 11, 2002 - 06:51 AM

Seems like we have a conflict in methods. Nothing new around here but I am curious to what others have done and what is proven to work. I have heard the windex method also. Does anyone else have any input? I'm fixin' to get ready to get some new stickers on too.

Thanks All,

J

• flyinguitars

Posted January 11, 2002 - 06:53 AM

If you toast or melt you graphics with a hair drier, you should think twice about riding dirtbikes. Use the hair drier to heat the graphics enough so that their pliable and adhere on the curved surfaces, not to cook them. If you buy a fancy set of graphics and put them on in the wrong position using the dry or plain old water method, you could damage them when peeling them off to re-position. As I said before, trust me on the windex, you can re-position them until their just right without damaging them. Also, a friend of mine uses 3M spray 77 adhesive (available at Home Depot) on his graphics if they begin peel after a crash.
Mike

• KTM250rm

Posted January 11, 2002 - 07:01 AM

I heat the graphics and tank both with a hairdryer and use Windex also.

I also use an artist roller. Looks like a mini-rolling pin used for cooking.

After getting all the windex out from under the graphics, I take the hairdryer and heat the graphics to get the adhesive nice and sticky and roll the graphics again.

I let it sit an hour and use the roller again on the graphics. I then let it sit over night and roll them again.

I also use a spray called PREP from Advance Auto Parts. It gets the surface clean of dirt, finger prints, oils, gas, etc. Its was painters used to prep a surface to get it clean before painting.

If a part of the graphics doesn't stick, just heat it up again with the hairdryer and press.

Also you can use DURO contact cement. Brush it one, let it set for a minute and press.

Good luck.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Odie

Posted January 11, 2002 - 08:19 AM

Toast your graphics with a hair dryer???? Huh?? :) Dude - what kind of hair dyer are you using - is that thing propane powered or what? Anyway - I'm the meticulous one in my group that everyone comes running to come graphic time. I've lost count of all the one's I've applied. Make sure your surface is clean, use the Windex method and definitely use the hair dryer. The hair dryer just makes the decals more pliable. If you bought one of those close-out deal graphics, those have been sitting on the shelf a while and might of lost some stickiness. Usually with these, the corners don't stick as well. Still not a problem - pick up some 3M Spray Adhesive, apply graphics as described, and if corners aren't sticking, peel back and spray very light coat of 3M on back side of graphics. Take your time and be patient.

Later,
Odie

[ January 11, 2002: Message edited by: Odie ]

• eBayThumper

Posted January 11, 2002 - 09:35 AM

Well then, I guess I have my answer. Thanks to all for helping me out. I'm going with the consensus on this one. Windex, hair dryer, roller.

Taker easy,
J

• flyinguitars

Posted January 11, 2002 - 10:08 PM

Ahhhhh, fresh graphics and some new bars risers...enjoy J.
Mike

• eBayThumper

Posted January 11, 2002 - 01:59 PM

And some brand new Renthals! Just can't wait for the bar risers...oh to stand tall again!

Thanks for the assistnace...

I just LOVE this stuff! :)

• gerry

Posted January 12, 2002 - 10:34 PM

I have just fitted some patriot graphics to my wr426 I took the tank and side panels in side and did the job in my kitchen so that the tank was warm, used a brake cleaning product put graphics on dry and used a pencil to rub over them to expell all the air left bike in heated garage for two weeks went to ride it today and the graphics are pealing off really fed up

• KasperMX

Posted January 12, 2002 - 11:16 AM

gerry I have just fitted some patriot graphics to my wr426 I took the tank and side panels in side and did the job in my kitchen so that the tank was warm, used a brake cleaning product put graphics on dry and used a pencil to rub over them to expell all the air left bike in heated garage for two weeks went to ride it today and the graphics are pealing off really fed up

your problem may lie in the brake cleaner
i used that before and they blew off in the wind
try to peel off (w/heat if necesary)before they get dirty, clean that tank w alcohol, maybe try some of that 3M spray sticky stuff the others sugested

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.