Water pump impeller removal question..

5 replies to this topic
  • TajMan

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:24 PM

I just got a boyesen Supercooler for my '05 YZ450 supermoto bike I'm making street legal.

I've got the stock water pump cover off, and the clutch cover off also..

How can I get the stock water pump impeller off to install the new Boyesen unit? Is it required to completely remove the right side case to hold the back of the water pump gear with a wrench to remove the impeller? Or can I somehow hold the clutch pack to keep the engine from rotating as I remove the impeller? What are the re-TQ specs when I put the new impeller on?

Oh wait, I can probably take off the left side engine cover for the stator, and hold the crankshaft from turning with a wrench on that side huh?

When I got my clutch cover off, I saw I had an aftermarket SuteRacing slipper clutch..

20140410_162501_zps166e8061.jpg

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:58 PM

How can I get the stock water pump impeller off to install the new Boyesen unit? Is it required to completely remove the right side case to hold the back of the water pump gear with a wrench to remove the impeller?

It is if you don't want to break the impeller shaft first and then take it off.

Read: http://www.thumperta...0-coolant-leak/

• TajMan

Posted April 11, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Funny, Boyesen called me back from a website contact inquiry, and the lady on the phone said i didn't need to remove the side case!

I was laughing because I already got advice here and already had my side cover off..

I asked how to hold the crankshaft from turning!? She wasn't quite sure, said maybe hold the brake while the engine was in gear..

lol, I'm glad I did it the right way. Man that impeller was on there pretty tight! What was that 50 ft-lbs !?

Edited by TajMan, April 11, 2014 - 12:45 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 11, 2014 - 02:10 PM

I'm glad I did it the right way. Man that impeller was on there pretty tight! What was that 50 ft-lbs !?

Stuff always comes off harder than it goes on.  The metals form an adhesive bond to each other, and they tend to be self tightening, so when they get really hot, they can cinch up even more on their own.  Assembly torque is 120 in/lb (10 ft/lb).

• rhinoracin

Posted November 07, 2014 - 12:48 AM

I just installed a SuperCooler kit on my 09, and I ended up holding the rear brake with the bike in gear to remove the stock impeller. And I tightened (10 ft lbs) the Boyesen impeller the same way. If something broke, would I know about it right away? I didn't hear or feel anything break, and the new impeller tightened up easily. I ran the bike and everything seems good so far, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing anything and no damage was done since this was my first time doing a water pump on a bike.

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted November 07, 2014 - 02:10 PM

I just lost a day of riding to bad seals in my water pump on my 09. New seals and bearing were less than 20$. Might think about that while you have it all torn apart.
I don't know the average life span of the seals but my bike only has about 105 hrs on it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.