07 yz450 noises

6 replies to this topic
  • yzed250

Posted April 10, 2014 - 05:43 AM

Hi everyone,
Just got my first ever 4 stroke a week ago, an 07 yz450f. Just wondering if anybody could help with a few things, first is I've put about 4-5hrs on it since I got it and on my last ride it started to make a knocking noise that got louder till I stopped the bike and walked home, it hadn't lost power though, I let it cool off kicked it, started fine, and the noise is still there but louder? I pulled the tensioner out and it's fine. I was thinking might be cam chain is stuffed? If so what does that sound like? Second is the idle began to rise by itself pretty much the same time as the knocking sound started? The sound gets louder under throttle too? The bike has perfect oil colour and no metal shavings, new oil filter, clean air filter, freshly packed muffler as well, I did forget to change the spark plug though, not sure if a plug could make that happen but? Is it time to take it to my local yami guy? I'm new to 4 bangers but love it!
Thanks

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:48 AM

In the first place, NEVER remove the cam chain tensioner until you have put the engine somewhere near TDC on the compression stroke.  Pop that thing out in the wrong position and the engine will jump time.

Second, YZ450's are noisy.  Very noisy.  Compare with another one.

Your idle mixture probably needs to be adjusted to correct the idle speed shift.  Read:

http://www.thumperfa.../jetting.htm#PJ

http://www.thumperta...ircuit-setting/

• yzed250

Posted April 10, 2014 - 12:59 PM

I think you miss-read... The idle got higher the same time as the knock started, I know they are loud 'rattley' bikes.
This started about 4 hours into riding it, and it has gotten louder?
I will take that onboard about the tensioner, I don't have a manual and just learning about 4t bikes.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2014 - 01:39 PM

I didn't misread that, I ignored it as irrelevant.  There isn't anything I can think of in the engine that can produce a knocking noise that would have any affect on idle speed.

Manuals are free:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• yzed250

Posted April 10, 2014 - 01:48 PM

Ah ok that's good to know I was thinking if the rings are buggered it could cause the idle to rise somehow. Thanks for the manual download link : )
I will put in a new plug today and play with the idle circuit a bit as well.

• grayracer513

Posted April 10, 2014 - 02:59 PM

There are mechanical conditions that will do it, but none that are noisy that I can think of.  Tight intake valves are one.  When they get too tight, say around .02mm (.001", roughly) clearance, they can leak enough combustion pressure back into the intake port to cause the engine to run leaner while it's at 3000 RPM than it does at idle speeds, and that holds the idle up for a time.  That's a classic "hanging idle", and valves aren't the only thing that will cause it. 

Broken rings on a "slipper skirt" piston, one with minimal skirts like those used in the YZF, will almost always cause a lot of "piston slap".  The rings are a big part of what stabilizes the piston, what with barely any skirt.  Piston slap occurs when the the piston and connecting rod go across TDC.  The thrust angle on the rod reverses, and the piston jumps from one side of the bore to the other.  If it is too loose, or rocks too much because of bad rings, it will make an excessively loud knock, or "clank" sound in the process.  Piston slap gets worse under a load, and diminishes as you accelerate.  Piston/ring problems relate to a hanging idle only in that both are general wear conditions, and can occur at the same time.

Now I'll correct what I said in the first place, that there isn't a condition that would cause a high idle that has an associated noise; there are two. There is a very limited chance this can happen, though because the conditions need to be just right.  If an intake valve were to be bent, or hang open because of carbon, just enough to diddle with the mixture, either condition would increase the clearance, probably enough to be heard.  The other is a broken valve spring, uncommon in YZF's but possible nevertheless.

• yzed250

Posted April 10, 2014 - 03:05 PM

Unreal thanks heaps I will rip it down tonight then and check the valve clearance and piston/rings. I hope it's just the tight valves and not worn rings, which would be a top end rebuild. Thanks again I now have heaps more to go on.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.