Oil dipstick and whistling noise on my 08 Yz 450

8 replies to this topic
  • Treeyz450

Posted April 08, 2014 - 07:35 PM

My dipstick will not read any oil........when I put my engine back together, I put 2 full quarts in(which I knew was too much). So I used the oil check bolt on the case, and drained about a half of a quart out. What is up with that?

Also, when I accelerate, I can hear a whistle, almost like a turbo spooling up. When I let off, it goes away.

Are these normal issues??

• seacraft69

Posted April 09, 2014 - 04:10 AM

Fcr carbs make a sound like that. Almost like a bird chirping. I put a fcr 39mx on my dr650 and it sounds like that. Reminds me of an old vw beetle. As far as the oil level, are you following the procedure for checking in the manual?

• Treeyz450

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:21 AM

Fcr carbs make a sound like that. Almost like a bird chirping. I put a fcr 39mx on my dr650 and it sounds like that. Reminds me of an old vw beetle. As far as the oil level, are you following the procedure for checking in the manual?

Thanks, I figured the whistling was the nature of the beast, just wanted to make sure.
Yes, manual says to put oil in(1.29 us quarts) until it reads on the dipstick, then use the oil check bolt and let it flow out with bike level until it stops. I put 2 quarts in and couldn't see it at all on the dipstick, do I opened the bolt. Surely they don't want you to drain a full quart or more with the bolt? Seems like a pita, unless I am missing something?

• seacraft69

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:48 AM

What year is your bike? Mine is an 06 and your supposed to start the the bike and let it idle for 3-5 minutes so the the oil tank can fill. Then shut it off and immediately check the oil. Should use 1 ltr. with an oil filter change and a qt. without changing the filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • seacraft69

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:51 AM

Just saw it's an 08. Not sure but probably the same proceedure

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2014 - 06:32 AM

The '08 is identical.  The dip stick is not in the same volume where the oil fill is, and you have to run the engine for a minimum of 1 full minute to pump the full 1 liter of oil out of the crankcase where you put it and up into the oil tank.  The oil check bolt below the front sprocket is frankly pretty useless; don't bother with it.

Read the oil change procedure in Common Threads: http://www.thumperta...9-model-yz450s/

Download a manual. Again, the link is in Common Threads:

http://www.yamaha-mo...uals/index.aspx

http://www.yamahaown...ook.com.au/?r=0

• Treeyz450

Posted April 09, 2014 - 07:04 AM

Thanks guys, I have the manual, but I guess I need to read it a little closer. I get in a hurry because I have very limited time.

• grayracer513

Posted April 09, 2014 - 08:35 AM

Thanks guys, I have the manual, but I guess I need to read it a little closer. I get in a hurry because I have very limited time.

That is "penny-wise, but pound-foolish".  By being in a hurry, you have cost yourself time.  If you aren't careful with the details, you might cost yourself money, and possibly lots of it.  ;)

• Treeyz450

Posted April 09, 2014 - 09:51 AM

That is "penny-wise, but pound-foolish". By being in a hurry, you have cost yourself time. If you aren't careful with the details, you might cost yourself money, and possibly lots of it. ;)

You are 100% right about that!
Thanks again for the knowledge.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.