Stock Stator Wattage Output?

14 replies to this topic
  • JVP

Posted April 07, 2014 - 06:53 PM

Does anyone know the Stock Stator Wattage Output on a 04 WR450.  My problem is the Garmin 650t that is mounted with the rugged mount is killing the battery after one day of riding.  Thinking of upgrading, but I want to know a good starting point for output.

• dboehme

Posted April 09, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Baja Designs says 100w AC and 20w DC
http://www.bajadesig...reference-chart

• JVP

Posted April 09, 2014 - 08:03 AM

Got it!  Thanks.

• flyandride

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:52 PM

I have an 09 and emailed Ricky Stator about the stock output, shown at 120 watts in the manual vs what they sell which is listed at 100 watts.  They said that the Yamaha manual is mistaken and that the output is actually around 60.  Most of that goes to run the 35 watt stock head light and the battery gets a trickle charge. And what they sell is actually around 140.  I haven't had the bike all that long, the previous owner said the bike didn't keep the battery charged well.  I got the stator and regulator/rectifier from RS and put it in.  I run 65 watts of light all the time and use the button start and it keeps the battery charged. 

Your GPS has it's own batteries, why do you need to hook it up to the bike? 

• JVP

Posted April 10, 2014 - 09:36 AM

My GPS users a Rugged Mount that has a direct connect to the battery.  I am switching over to a Ricky Stator system.  Eventually I plan on Dual Sporting the bike and this will be a good start.

• RickyStator

Posted April 10, 2014 - 09:57 AM

FWM-001 drawing_g.gif line02.gif space.gif Outer diameter [mm] line03.gif phi.gif100 line02.gif space.gif Output [W/rpm] line03.gif 62/1700 line02.gif space.gif Inertia moment [kg/cm2] line03.gif 12.2

62 watts at 1700 rpm, straight from the OEM supplier of the WR450 stator

Edited by RickyStator, April 10, 2014 - 10:00 AM.

• DeepPurplishBlue

Posted April 10, 2014 - 10:13 AM

My GPS users a Rugged Mount that has a direct connect to the battery.  I am switching over to a Ricky Stator system.  Eventually I plan on Dual Sporting the bike and this will be a good start.

The GPS should not place any burden on the stock electrical system.    Even if you left the GPS on overnight it should not kill

your battery assuming it is charged and in otherwise good condition.

If the battery on your bike is dead after a day of riding it isn't the GPS causing it...   your current stator or regulator are not working

and/or the battery is bad.

Edited by DeepPurplishBlue, April 10, 2014 - 10:13 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JVP

Posted April 10, 2014 - 12:50 PM

This all academic now.  Purchased and Installed a new Ricky Stator and Rectifier.  All troubles should go away! :ride:

• KennyMc

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:51 PM

I see the Ricky Stator is $160 for a WR450.  How different would it be if I sent my stock stator to Baja Designs to float the ground ($30) and bought an all DC reg/rec ($40).  Other than ~$100 cheaper.  

Edited by KennyMc, April 10, 2014 - 08:52 PM.

• JVP

Posted April 11, 2014 - 07:49 AM

I thought of that. However, The windings and the base plate are more robust. The whole kit is top notch. I am glad I paid the difference.

• RickyStator

Posted April 11, 2014 - 10:05 AM

I see the Ricky Stator is $160 for a WR450.  How different would it be if I sent my stock stator to Baja Designs to float the ground ($30) and bought an all DC reg/rec ($40).  Other than ~$100 cheaper.  

the difference would be the output. Floating the ground on the OEM stator will give about 55 watts DC despite what some others may claim. Our stator is actually larger than the OEM unit as well.

• KennyMc

Posted April 11, 2014 - 10:49 AM

the difference would be the output. Floating the ground on the OEM stator will give about 55 watts DC despite what some others may claim. Our stator is actually larger than the OEM unit as well.

Would that be at idle?

• RickyStator

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Would that be at idle?

The power is being drawn from the battery so in a sense it is available at idle. 

• KennyMc

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:40 AM

The power is being drawn from the battery so in a sense it is available at idle. 

My question was related to the floated grounded DC stator output at say, 4,500RPM's.  Would it still be at 55W?  Seems you are inferring that the stock stator will only put out 55W max at any RPM when the "ground float" procedure is done.

You guys I am sure have measured your stator output.  Have you ever measured a stock WR stator once the "ground float" has been completed?  Just to get an apples to apples comparison....

• RickyStator

Posted April 14, 2014 - 08:49 AM

My question was related to the floated grounded DC stator output at say, 4,500RPM's.  Would it still be at 55W?  Seems you are inferring that the stock stator will only put out 55W max at any RPM when the "ground float" procedure is done.

You guys I am sure have measured your stator output.  Have you ever measured a stock WR stator once the "ground float" has been completed?  Just to get an apples to apples comparison....

ya the 55 watts is for the stock stator floated. when you take a stator output and rectify  it you lose some of its power, this is where the 55 watts comes in. this is the safe amount of power that can be drawn and still keep the battery charged. check the link from a write up a member did. you will see the modified BD stator will not run 2 HIDS, this is a load of about 70 watts and it will not charge the battery. not sure where 100 watts ever came in on a modified stock stator.

http://www.thumperta...07-stator-talk/

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.