2003 wr450 PLEASE HELP

10 replies to this topic
  • scottw88

Posted April 07, 2014 - 03:26 AM

Hi everyone
Just bought a used wr450 and im wanting it to use on my Ls (btw im from Australia) its got lights blinkers ect but none of it works ive tried new battery and fuses but still nothing could it be the stator if so can someone help me
Thanks

• YzCas

Posted April 07, 2014 - 03:37 AM

Hi everyone
Just bought a used wr450 and im wanting it to use on my Ls (btw im from Australia) its got lights blinkers ect but none of it works ive tried new battery and fuses but still nothing could it be the stator if so can someone help me
Thanks

I hate electronics on everything you can buy a meter to read what your stated is putting out. But you probably be wasting your money did you check the ground wire or wires usually if the bike runs stator is okay.It could be voltage regulator :blink:

• scottw88

Posted April 07, 2014 - 03:41 AM

Its the worst! Feels like im going around in circles! Im a bit of a noob lol from what research ive done the stator is on the left hand side? The bike kicks over fine but when I use the electric start it just makes a sudden noise and thats it, its the only thing from stopping me riding it ahhhhhh

• YzCas

Posted April 07, 2014 - 04:54 AM

Its the worst! Feels like im going around in circles! Im a bit of a noob lol from what research ive done the stator is on the left hand side? The bike kicks over fine but when I use the electric start it just makes a sudden noise and thats it, its the only thing from stopping me riding it ahhhhhh

hmmm you said you put a knew battery can you get to the starter to jump the solenoid? Take the starter off clean it,also check the wire connections meaning the ends where there crimped to the wires for the starter and if it has one check the key switch

• scottw88

Posted April 07, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Ok ill check that out and get back thanks alot!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tanis

Posted April 07, 2014 - 03:26 PM

when you say nothing works you mean it wont start? 

Testing electrical faults can be a pain in the ass if you don’t work in the right way.

Firstly don’t assume that your "new battery" is good or is charged if you don’t have a meter I would suggest you go and buy one a cheap one from an auto shop will be all you need.

Pick a logical start point. In your case the battery and work forward up the bike checking every connection as you until you get to the lights. Wiggle them and see if you can get the light to turn on. Check all of the wires for damage or crushing between the frame and parts especially under the tank, near the head stem and around the air box.

Check your globes are they all blown? (If so then it’s going to be your regulator or a short to ground)

Check your regulator output with the meter the correct values are in the service Manuel

Check your stator for correct output its not hard the procedure is in the service manuel

Check your flasher works

Good luck!!

• scottw88

Posted April 07, 2014 - 06:13 PM

Thanks mate after work ive got alot of work to do!

• JVP

Posted April 07, 2014 - 07:11 PM

Electrical troubles on the WR450 is like a dog chasing its tail.  Welcome to my world......

• scottw88

Posted April 07, 2014 - 11:21 PM

Any tips jvp?

• bobpara

Posted April 08, 2014 - 03:57 AM

I bought a Baja kit for my WR and remember it having a rather unique wiring setup. If I remember, the 'core' of the bike ran off of one wire from the stator and all else ran off of the output from another. If ALL (every single one) If every accessory is not working, I'd check the output from the two yellow wires from the stator

• JVP

Posted April 08, 2014 - 08:55 AM

The system works on a AC (Lights) and DC (Everything else)dual stator. The Stator and Rectifier are usually not the problem. Check your battery first with a tester at the Dealer. I found the Starting Relay do go bad and are a cheap fix. Check for ground faults and start scratching your head. It is a pain....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.