2006 CR 125 Tear Down Rebuild..

I purchased this bike about 4 days ago from a old friend. Theres a thread started thats titled " 2006 CR 125 Purchase for $750. I'll Just make a thread of the build and covert them together. This bike is my first complete tear down re build, motor ect. So yes I'm very excited, for the guys out there that do this weekly please by all means correct or guide me in any way. This is why I'm starting this thread. Thank you!! 

This will be a min so spare some time here, thanks guys. I grew up riding quads, my brothers had dirt bikes but i rarely road them when we went riding, just on the roads by our house is where i took them out. After the years I decided I wanted to ride dirt bikes. A friend of mine was helping me look for one and after seeing nothing but junk on craigslist I was about to not even consider  selling my quad for a bike. So I was skydiving one after noon and my buddy called me and asked if i had gone to look at a cr125 about 3 hours away and i said nope i came skydiving I'm just gonna sleep on it for a while. He said why don't you come check out one of my 2001 CR250 practice bike, if you like it we can talk. I had no intentions to buy a 250 but the deal i got I could not refuse. I did mention to him that this bike was gonna be to fast to learn how to ride on. And he did agree but he said listen take your time and take it slow. The bike is mint and spot less inside and out. After seeing bikes on CL i couldn't refuse this bike. After riding it for 2 seasons this bike is and runs 100%. Its just to fast for my riding ability. Because the story behind this bike and the my friend that I've known for 20 years i could never sell it. So I'm gonna keep her in the shop and put it to the side. I purchasedicon1.png a 2006 CR 125 recently from another friend from 20 years ago. Hoping it will be a good learning tool to one day master the 250. Mind you we are all 25, its crazy how people link up after 15 years and still all ride keeping the bikes in the same circle.  

To make this part short, My friend had a 2006 CR125 that he bought brand new. Two years ago he was riding in some trails, slid on some wet grounds and kinda fell in a puddle about 1ft deep. He said when he ran to the bike he pulled it out of the water and it was still running. He rode it back to the truck and after shutting it down it never started again. He said he drained all fluids and gas and the oil came out fine no water in it. Filled everything back up and still no start. The compression seems to be extremely soft. I just picked it up tonight so i unloaded it and haven't had a chance to check. The kick starter turns so i know its not seized. Im almost convinced its a top end.  He is big with drag racing street bikes so i think he just put it aside and just lost interest in dirt bikes. The bike seems overall very clean. Its just been sitting in his shop covered in stuff for the past 2 years. Its gonna need a front tire, brakes , ect. Basic things I'm not worried about. Im just hoping its nothing major in the motor its self. For $750.00 i feel pretty safe even if i have to put some money to get running. Id like to strip it down to frame  and go through everything regardless. Im just looking for what you guys may think of this purchase, Good or bad. Here are some pics of the 125. Mind you i brought the bike home 3 days ago and today we were supposed to just take the radiators off to send out to Mylers. 2 Hours later not expecting it this happened!!!!

IMG_1466.JPG

IMG_1467.JPG

IMG_1468.jpg

IMG_1469.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1473.jpg

IMG_1474.jpg

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.jpg

IMG_1477.JPG

IMG_1478.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg

IMG_1483.JPG

IMG_1482.JPG

Edited by J.Tomasello

Just a few more. There was a couple screws holding the Throttle cable into the carb. They had a weird hex pattern that i don't have. So i will remove that tomorrow. Was getting late but, I'm happy with what happened today considering we were supposed to just remove the radiators.

IMG_1497.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1501.PNG

Following this thread..

Does the crank have any up and down play? Or do the main bearings have any play? If not, and the bottom end was nice and oily when you pulled it, then the bottom end should be good.

Of course if you can afford it a full rebuild is always a safe bet when someone else put the hours on that motor besides yourself.

So after going through some stuff today. These are the parts that have to be changed.

-Front tire
-Front and Rear Pads 
-Fork Seals
-Clutch lever and Perch 
-Brake Lever
-Radiator is bent a little on both sides. ( I was gonna send it out to get fixed shouldn't cost more than 80.00) 
- New Top End
- Front and Rear sprocket
-Chain 
-Needs a bunch of misc bolts around the bike.

- Bottom end? I will have my friend who i bought the 250 from check out the bottom end. The bike is not seized but looks rusted and has some corrosion in the bottom end. Im assuming he will have to split the case and help me with that since thats something i want someone who knows what there doing to take a look at it. Please let me know what you guys think so far and input is great.

Honestly i really want to do a full top end and bottom end rebuild just because at this point I have it out and I have the help next to me. But I haven't priced out what a bottom end will cost me. Ive never done one. I know a top end is real cheap. I would like to budget myself $1,000 in parts on the rebuild. If i could use less great if I go over a little bit I don't mind. I want to do it right since its my first build and It will be a bike I wanna ride for a long time.

Honestly i really want to do a full top end and bottom end rebuild just because at this point I have it out and I have the help next to me. But I haven't priced out what a bottom end will cost me. Ive never done one. I know a top end is real cheap. I would like to budget myself $1,000 in parts on the rebuild. If i could use less great if I go over a little bit I don't mind. I want to do it right since its my first build and It will be a bike I wanna ride for a long time.

1000 for just the engine? If so, piece of cake. 2 strokes are very cheap to rebuild, as long as your cylinder is going to be usable. Any damage to the electro fusion plating?(the surface the piston rings press against) anything like chipping?

Edit* just saw your other post. That makes more sense. Still want to know cylinder condition though.

Edited by Joel Tilford

Update on the build- Radiators sent out to Mylers just now to straighten the radiators and check for leaks. 35.00 each radiator to straighten and 5 dollars each radiator if they have to repair any leaks. I know there's no leaks so my total should be about 100 with shipping and repairs.

Update on the build- Radiators sent out to Mylers just now to straighten the radiators and check for leaks. 35.00 each radiator to straighten and 5 dollars each radiator if they have to repair any leaks. I know there's no leaks so my total should be about 100 with shipping and repairs.

Mylar's does really good work.  His business is just down the road from me so I have been in his shop multiple times.  he repaired some, pretty much, destroyed 125 radiators for me a few years ago and then ended up buying them from me when I decided to buy a set of super cool radiators from him for the same bike.  I highly recommend him.