service manual

6 replies to this topic
  • cwisa

Posted January 10, 2002 - 02:45 PM

I am looking for a Yamaha service manual for my '98 yz400. Does anyone know how I can get one for less than $70.

Thanks,
Chris

• thumpsalad

Posted January 10, 2002 - 03:46 PM

cwisa,

If you cannot find one locally...try www.repairmanuals.com

I got mine (a Clymer) there for about $30 shipped!
thumpsalad

• cwisa

Posted January 10, 2002 - 04:07 PM

Is the Clymer manual good? I heard the factory manual was a lot better. Is that true?

Chris

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • thumpsalad

Posted January 10, 2002 - 05:44 PM

I like the Clymer manual. It shows good pictures and step by step. It's got more detail than the factory manual and suits my needs just fine. I would say it compliments the manual rather than replaces it.

I do refer to it more than the factory manual.

• cwisa

Posted January 10, 2002 - 06:49 PM

Thanks for the info. You are probably right about the two manuals complimenting each other. It is probably best to eventually get both manuals.

Thanks again,
Chris

• Matt_W

Posted January 11, 2002 - 02:00 AM

I have a Clymer manual and a Genuine Yamaha Service manual for both my YZ250 and my 426F, and Clymer is far better than Yamaha hands down !!! There are a ton more pictures in the Clymer manual and they are of far better quality. Clymer gives you detailed step by step instructions for everything, as opposed to the Yamaha manual that merely states "take bike apart, fix what is broken, put bike back together". Clymer also offers hints, tips and Tricks to accomplishing tasks, where Yamaha does nothing of the sort. Last but most certainly not least, the Clymer manual is cheapest !! I bought my Clymer manual from Amazon.com and paid less than $25 shipped !!

• MX_Tuner

Posted January 11, 2002 - 02:05 AM

For me the factory manual is hands down better in every aspect. But then again, personally, I don't need the procedures shown like the Clymer manual shows. I'm well aware how to tear down a set of forks, split cases, etc, etc. I use a manual more for specifications.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.