18 replies to this topic
  • treefrog

Posted April 06, 2014 - 09:48 AM

I got my bike plated and need to change out my knobs for some more street friendly tires. I will mostly be riding to work just a few miles away with a mix of dirt roads and asphalt. I cant afford much but do not want to buy junk either. Something that wont scare the hell out of me at 55mph on the road. What do you all run on your plated bikes? I know I shouldnt be cheap here but I really dont have much choice. Any sugesstions for the most bang for the buck?

• flyandride

Posted April 06, 2014 - 10:33 AM

I have Dunlop D606's on my 450.  I've been up to 75 mph with them on pavement with no handling issues or excessive noise.  In slippery stuff off road the front end seams to break loose first but overall they are knobbies first, street second.  No DOT knobby is going to be smooth and quiet like a street tire. 

On my 250, also plated, I've got Maxxis IT tires even though they are not DOT approved.  I regularly ride it at highway speeds and don't find the handling bad at all.  Off road the front sticks better than the Dunlops.  I'll probably replace the tires with something DOT approved soon, have heard good things about Metzler.  

I see a lot of DS bikes with Kenda tires, less aggressive tread, aimed more towards street and the price is lower. 

Some riders are swearing by DOT trials tires.  They say not as good in mud but they are great on rocks.  

• PacoPaez

Posted April 06, 2014 - 10:53 AM

I use The Pirelli MTR 43 front and rear they work great they last a long time too, make sure use 6 to 7 lbs rear and 11 lbs on front I experianced fast rocky roads in Baja and had to up pressure after front flat Ok after that close to 2000 miles on last rear.

• revyrider

Posted April 06, 2014 - 01:43 PM

+1 on the Pirelli mt 43. Great tire!

• GP1K

Posted April 08, 2014 - 09:40 AM

I run Kenda Trackmasters on my DRZ400. They're awesome DS tires, wear really well and work pretty good offroad, again for a DS tire. I used to run Pirelli MT21s and those may have slight edge offroad, but wear out much faster. Have not run the D606s so can't speak to them.

If you want something with max longevity on road that's still a DOT knobby and does ok offroad, there's the Continental TKC 80s.

• treefrog

Posted April 08, 2014 - 11:31 AM

I was thinking about trying the IRC trials tires. Has anyone ran trials tires on their bike?

• Bryan Bosch

Posted April 08, 2014 - 11:39 AM

I was thinking about trying the IRC trials tires. Has anyone ran trials tires on their bike?

buddy of mine ran them on his WR426. A little squishy, but once he got used to the feeling, they did well. But, it eventually blew out at speed. :eek:

• mrgem

Posted April 10, 2014 - 08:31 AM

I've run just about every tire mentioned here. These are thoughts:

1) Dunlop D606-- Wonderful off road tire. Gets just about the same traction as an MX knobby off road. Not the greatest tire for pavement though. Wears quickly on asphalt.

2) Pirelli Scorpion -- Just about the equal of D606 in every way with the same liabilities -- including fast-wearing on pavement.

3) Kenda Trackmaster -- Good traction off road but wears quickly on all surfaces. Not well suited to pavement.

4) IRC Trials -- Pretty good traction on and off road, but wears out quickly.

5) Maxxis M6006 -- Fair traction on and off road. Wears quickly.

6) Kenda K270 -- Good dual sport tire. Adequate traction on and off road. Wears well. 

For the use you described -- I'd go with a set of Kenda K270s. Tires are expensive and if keeping costs under control, I would not go with a full knobby for use on pavement.

But that is just my opinion.

• DRZ400SLOWRIDE

Posted May 18, 2014 - 06:54 PM

1) Dunlop D606-- Wonderful off road tire. Gets just about the same traction as an MX knobby off road. Not the greatest tire for pavement though. Wears quickly on asphalt.
2) Pirelli Scorpion -- Just about the equal of D606 in every way with the same liabilities -- including fast-wearing on pavement.
3) Kenda Trackmaster -- Good traction off road but wears quickly on all surfaces. Not well suited to pavement.
6) Kenda K270 -- Good dual sport tire. Adequate traction on and off road. Wears well. 

For the use you described -- I'd go with a set of Kenda K270s. Tires are expensive and if keeping costs under control, I would not go with a full knobby for use on pavement.
What do you know about continentals KTC 80, I hear they get 4000 rear miles & the front 6000 miles, people I talk to mostly Adventure rider say 40% road/60% dirt, any output would be good. I ride about the 40% dirt 60% road I'm not into riding to wild or crazy anymore just for fun now. Getting older & heal longer, lol. THANK YOU, DRZ400SLOWRIDE.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bobpara

Posted May 19, 2014 - 04:41 AM

Kenda Trackmaster on Back and Pirelli Scorpion on front

If I didn't know better, Road legal (DOT approved) knobbies are made from a much harder compund

They seem to last at least 3X longer than an off-road knobbie

Only drawback would be that hard rubber is not a grippy as soft rubber

• ttreewalkerr

Posted May 19, 2014 - 04:59 AM

I'm putting on kenda 270 this week, front and rear. Memorial weekend will be riding.

• mrgem

Posted May 19, 2014 - 05:31 AM

What do you know about continentals KTC 80, I hear they get 4000 rear miles & the front 6000 miles, people I talk to mostly Adventure rider say 40% road/60% dirt, any output would be good. I ride about the 40% dirt 60% road I'm not into riding to wild or crazy anymore just for fun now. Getting older & heal longer, lol. THANK YOU, DRZ400SLOWRIDE.

There is no question that Euro-Tires like the TKC 80 and some of the Metzler knobbies are very good tires. They are the darling of the big Euro-DS riders and with pretty good reason. 

That said, they are quite expensive and if value is a concern, they might not be for you...

I'm somewhat skeptical about mileage claims for any knobby that is regularly run on pavement, though. IME, these tires wear out much faster than those that are a compromise dual-sport pattern tires -- and that is why I like the Kendas. For instance, I've now got 3 rides and less than 400 miles (90% off road) on a set of Michelin dual sport T63 knobbies (which are actually quite inexpensive -- because they are made in Asia- and popular among DSers). One more ride in the Rocky terrain I typically run in and the rear tire is ready to be changed out. I can guarantee it won't be replaced by another T63, though, since their traction is only so-so and the wear is dubious. 

For the riding I do (which is mostly off-road and probably not the same as your riding) -- nothing I've tried so far can beat the D606s. They are on the pricey side, though, and if most of your riding is on pavement -- they are probably not ideal for your application.

I haven't tried any DOT trials tires on the rear, yet.The Pirelli MT43s are getting good reports. That might be my next experiment.

Edited by mrgem, May 19, 2014 - 05:35 AM.

• 123devinzz1

Posted May 19, 2014 - 05:43 PM

motoz enduro IT is my current favorite. followed by the kenda washougal. (most kendas are dot approved but not advertised as being so). The worst tire I have ever run was the trackmaster.  Look into the motoz forsure if you want a great all around and long lasting tire.

• pavementsurfer

Posted June 04, 2014 - 06:39 PM

After much research I went with the d606's.  They are 90% dirt 10% street.  They lack the knobs on the side wall, and are tighter packed together, so in the dirt they don't corner as well as a true MX tire will.  Also the rear will get less of a bite so you will get alot of wheel spin.  MAKE SURE TO GET THE TIRES BALANCED!  Some tech tried to tell me that street knobies dont need balencing, I took my business elsewhere.  Until you get a few miles on them they will vibrate like a SOB on the street.  They are expensive but you get what you pay for.

Good luck!

• MaxPower

Posted June 07, 2014 - 03:13 AM

I have found anything but a full knobby is useless offroad. Pick the tire you for where you want the best traction .
I could deal with the rear a little better off road. You could get a extra front rim and have a dirt and street setup depending what your focus is that ride.

• ttreewalkerr

Posted June 07, 2014 - 04:44 AM

I rode 100 miles with the Kenda 270's, front and rear, I liked them

• KennyMc

Posted June 07, 2014 - 08:30 AM

Pirelli Scorpion XCMH all around. DOT and great dirt tire. For me, I will always go for the more aggressive dirt tire as that is where I need the most benefit as I do so little street riding. When I do it's usually just into whatever little town for lunch then back into the dirt. Street wear is not a concern. The only reason I go DOT at all is I'd hate to find that 1 LEO that's had a bad day. It's just like insurance.

• guru

Posted June 07, 2014 - 01:04 PM

A Dremel gets the NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE off in about 45 seconds. Just sayin.

Dunlop 606s last along time and suck for a long time. I like the MX 71 and want to try an AT 81. I used to love the Dunlop 952 and they can be found at some places. Best hook, ok wear and cheeeep too.

• KennyMc

Posted June 07, 2014 - 06:10 PM

and want to try an AT 81..

I have the AT81RC on the back right now.  This is the 2nd time for the tire.  Not real happy with the hook-up on the harder packed stuff.  Feel the need to run it at about 12psi but I'm not going to do that, don't want to pinch flat it.  Don't even think about running it with a Tubliss.  A friend punctured it in 4 different places within 10 miles out in the CA desert.  This was with a NEW tire.  I spent about a half hour talking to the National Marketing guy for Dunlop.  Sent him pictures of the 4 plugs in the tire.  He flat out said that he would not recommend running less than 15psi in the back.  Pretty much defeats the use of the Tubliss.

This is with the RC which is the reinforced carcass.  I just put on the front AT81 that I bought at the same time but didn't need it yet.  Will see how it goes but I have the Pirelli XCMH waiting in the wing as I bought both the front and back as I have always liked them but I thought I would give the 81's a try.  I am just not a fan but that is in the So Cal desert.  Funny though, they market them as a desert tire but they punctured pretty darn easy....

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.