09 WR450F Headlight Removal

7 replies to this topic
  • UnleashThePwnies

Posted April 05, 2014 - 11:17 PM

I'm looking into removing my WR's headlight and replacing it with a YZ number plate. After a thorough internet search it seems there are possibly some issues with simply disconnecting the headlight, as some people report that their regulator/rectifier break, and either cutting a yellow wire or installing a resistor will stop that from happening. Would I be safe to remove it and not touch anything else, or is the resistor/cut wire needed?

• GuyGraham

Posted April 06, 2014 - 12:28 AM

I looked into removing mine on my 08, and fired a question to Yamaha UK, via my dealer.

The response back was don't just take the headlight off coz you will have problems, but replace it with a resistor

There was a 'fix' from Yamaha for the YFZ quad which consisted of a ballast resistor, to take the load in place of the bulb to protect the reg rec &/or stator

This apparently fits the WR as well

The electrical power generated by the stator, which can't be 'turned off' has to go somewhere - either turned into light by the bulb, or dissipated as heat by the reg/rec

In the end I left my light on

There are many on here who have just removed the headlight with no ill effects

• UnleashThePwnies

Posted April 06, 2014 - 01:48 PM

I found this thread, the second post says there is a yellow wire you can cut that will kill the power in the lighting circuit. Would that make the resistor unnecessary?

http://www.thumperta...dlight-removal/

Edited by UnleashThePwnies, April 06, 2014 - 01:48 PM.

• RockerYZWR

Posted April 06, 2014 - 05:26 PM

For whatever it's worth, I run my bike with the headlight off (switched off, not removed) literally all of the time, and I ride a couple of times a week.  I will have to see if there's excessive heat coming off the regulator/rectifier next time I ride. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GuyGraham

Posted April 07, 2014 - 09:49 AM

For whatever it's worth, I run my bike with the headlight off (switched off, not removed) literally all of the time, and I ride a couple of times a week.  I will have to see if there's excessive heat coming off the regulator/rectifier next time I ride. 

you can't switch the headlight off on an 07+

They are powered directly from the stator, and only work with the engine running

either you have a pre 07, or you have floated the ground so that all the  power goes to the battery, and the headlight runs from the battery

• RockerYZWR

Posted April 07, 2014 - 04:26 PM

The only thing is the previous owner did install a Tusk dual sport kit which included an off-low-high switch for the headlight. I don't know if that meant also floating the ground, but I will investigate...as soon as I learn what floating a ground means. Google...activate.

• UnleashThePwnies

Posted April 08, 2014 - 12:07 PM

I think what i'll do is have a look and unplug the yellow wire coming from the stator to the regulator. I looked at the wiring diagram and it looks like disconnecting it should do the trick and leave all the other electrical bits working. 

Has anyone installed a yz plate and kept/relocated the stock speedometer? I don't really want to get rid of it as i like having the odometer function. 

• Mbiker_101

Posted April 09, 2014 - 06:56 AM

I'm looking for a factory wr450 headlight if you guys are removing yours for good, anyone want to sell me theirs? I also have a baja designs high output headlight if any one is interested?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.