Black box cdi

8 replies to this topic
  • crash6918

Posted April 05, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Anyone know anything about the black box cdi for 06 yz450f is it junk and how does it affect the motor long term I just ordered one off of ebay for my 07 some good feedback would be nice

• dirtbeater

Posted April 06, 2014 - 07:09 AM

My 06 has the cdi from 06 on it and it is not junk. It effect the motor by determining when to send spark to the plug. Cdi boxes are way cooler then the old points, dont try to convert your bike to run points. You wont be happy.

• crash6918

Posted April 06, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Im not lol I just herd that the 06 cdi has more low end then the 07 but I bought an aftermarket 06 called the black box its suppose to raise the rpms by 750 just wondering if the black box is junk or not its programmable by usb too first time I ever messed with something this advanced

• dirtbeater

Posted April 06, 2014 - 05:46 PM

No clue. If it is a stock 06 CDI then I think you are ok. I have searched and read a lot about how people like the 06 timing curve and power delivery. If it is aftermarket or "reprogrammed" then I have no clue.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 2_strokin

Posted February 13, 2015 - 06:45 AM

Was that black box any good? I'm in need of a cdi box and them are half the price as OEM new

• Bturner

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:18 AM

Was that black box any good? I'm in need of a cdi box and them are half the price as OEM new

I have an extra CDI box. I have an 09 & I bought an 06 CDI box off Ebay for $100. I can sell you mine if you want it! The 09 was nice & smooth.

• Bturner

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:21 AM

I love my 06 CDI. It made improvements everywhere for my bike. It was a nice addition to go w/ the exhaust, intake & jetting upgrades.

• 2_strokin

Posted February 13, 2015 - 07:30 AM

My problem is I box a "used one" off ebay and my bike is still having problems with staying running once it's hot and not starting till its cooled off again
So don't really wanna buy another used one unless it starts hot and cold. Now that may not even be the problem

• grayracer513

Posted February 13, 2015 - 10:19 AM

Test your stator while it's hot.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Tommyk_55
  • On January 15, 2017
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.