New to me 06 YZ450F loud engine noise

15 replies to this topic
  • sect8DR

Posted April 03, 2014 - 05:37 PM

I have always been a 2 stroke guy, so think of me as the annoying 13 year old that knows nothing.  Just picked up a nice 06 and it seems to have boatloads of horsepower but the engine just seems ungodly loud to me.  It seems as though I can hear each valve getting slapped by the cam.  Runs good and no smoke.  Previous owner said head was redone with new valves about 2 engine hours ago.  But you know how that goes.  Just wondering if these bikes are just noisy or if I should get in there and check it out.  It does have a powerbomb and q4 that has been bent pretty hard.  Also, the previous owner says that the bike needs 100 octane ran in it but said the piston and crank are stock.  s this true or is it a line of BS?  Any help will be great and I will try to post a sound clip tomorrow.

Edited by sect8DR, April 03, 2014 - 05:44 PM.

• seacraft69

Posted April 03, 2014 - 06:06 PM

My new to me 06 is really loud too. From the research ive done they are all this way. But it is unnerving. Stock you should be fine with 91 octane

• ekulb14

Posted April 03, 2014 - 07:26 PM

yeh i mean they run a little loud, odd ticks some what but noise usually is bad. 100, no i can run 87 with no problems pump 91 will do just fine.

• sect8DR

Posted April 03, 2014 - 08:31 PM

Thanks for the replys guys.  Guess I will just go out and rip on it tomorrow if it quits raining. 

• torkd14

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:25 AM

I started with a 2003 YZ450 which had some serious noises being made in the motor, everyone always commented and asked if it was dying but the thing ran great and still does. My 06 seems to have some of the same noises similar to what your talking about and I've done the valves, still makes the same noise. I think its just the way these engines are built, which is pretty bullet proof.

• seacraft69

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:49 AM

Whats funny is I also have a dr 650 supermoto/comutter that people say has a noisy engine. And it does being an air cooled 650cc thumper. But but this yamaha...

• sect8DR

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:11 PM

That's funny my Daily ride is a 2012 DR650, they are a little noisy.  This 450 seems to run good so I guess I will learn to live with it. 

• Sawyer141

Posted April 05, 2014 - 08:51 PM

My 04 yz450 has made a ton of noise also I tore it down to replace the head gasket everything looked great in there still makes a ton of noise after all that though seriously considering going back to a 2stroke took way to long to do

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • buellover

Posted April 08, 2014 - 02:29 PM

My '06 is the same way, I went through everything, looking for cavitating in the radiators, oil system.  Checked valves and everything else.  3 years now, noisy as always, and rips with no problems.  Guessing the came obnoxious from the factory.

• blrmaker

Posted April 08, 2014 - 06:29 PM

My '06 is the same way, I went through everything, looking for cavitating in the radiators, oil system.  Checked valves and everything else.  3 years now, noisy as always, and rips with no problems.  Guessing the came obnoxious from the factory.

Same as mine!

• Deanyz450fyamaha

Posted June 16, 2014 - 10:39 PM

My yz450 06 is noisy too they all are I found I listened to others and they were the same my still has plenty of power you would think it was a new back ,, keep riding and have fun

• torkd14

Posted June 17, 2014 - 07:19 AM

Also if you add an aluminum skid plate like I did it will make your teeth chatter from the engine noise.

• Deanyz450fyamaha

Posted June 17, 2014 - 12:08 PM

Lol I could imagine the extra noise bouncing of the skid plate

• Decreasing Dave

Posted June 20, 2014 - 02:15 AM

Mine got real loud when I put on the aluminum skid plate too.  If you have one, that could be the issue.

I added a foam pad between the plate and the motor and that helped some but not all.  I have 175 hours on mine with one rebuild and the whole motor was inspected at the rebuild (120 hours).  The bike just rips and starts on the first or second kick every time.

Enjoy.

Dave

• macoroniman2004

Posted June 20, 2014 - 09:43 AM

I also roll a 04 450f and also just as above sounds like something flying apart but same as above again tore into it inspected everything looked great I just keep ripping it never let me down yet.. I also have the skid plate and started it once with it off the bike and the noise hushed a tiny bit but not totally gone

• Deanyz450fyamaha

Posted June 20, 2014 - 12:11 PM

We might have loud rattled engines but at the end off the day we also have power machines that thump and never let us down bbbrrraaaaaaappp go hard boys :) yz 450f all day long :)

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.