20" front wheel on WR450F for woods

7 replies to this topic
  • Alabama_Rider

Posted January 14, 2004 - 10:10 PM

Has anyone tried a 20" front wheel on the WR450 to make it turn better in tight woods. What are you thoughts before I do so? :D

Also, can you remove the battery? :)

• PIKE

Posted February 15, 2004 - 01:47 PM

I believe Ty Davis races with a 20 inch front.

• beezer

Posted February 15, 2004 - 02:34 PM

No it can cause the woodruff key to forniscue.

• mtrablue

Posted February 15, 2004 - 03:22 PM

interesting idea about the wheel size change. 20 inch tires are 90/100's. 21's are 80/100, so it may be a wash as far as diameter. brp makes a set of triple clamps with less offset to tighten up the steering. they're on my wish list. aint cheap.
yes, you can remove the battery. secure the wires so they won't touch anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ETP

Posted February 16, 2004 - 05:51 AM

I riased my forks about 1/2" to lower the bike and, to my suprise, it really helped the handling in the woods. Gotta make sure not to lower too much. There is a scribe mark on the fork which I think is the limit before risking bottoming out during fork compression.

• SBK

Posted February 16, 2004 - 07:33 AM

...There is a scribe mark on the fork which I think is the limit before risking bottoming out during fork compression.

By bottoming out, I assume you mean tire-to-fender?

• GPS Dual Sport

Posted February 16, 2004 - 07:36 AM

My reasons for running a 20" front wheel are better floation in sand and it seems to deflect less in rocks.
The wider contact patch does make the steering feel heavier and react slower. For dual sport riding all these are good things.
I've run 20" front on my 98 WR 400 and 02 WR 426. I don't know if a WR 450 will respond exactly the same way to a 20" front wheel.
If you plan on lacing your own wheel the cost for a rim, spoke set and rim lock will be around $200.

• ETP

Posted February 16, 2004 - 04:09 PM

[/QUOTE]

By bottoming out, I assume you mean tire-to-fender?

[/QUOTE]

I assume "tire-to-fender" and hope I never find out the hard way....
That could get ugly, a big jump or G out, and sail over the bars...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.