99 WR400 won't idle without the choke pulled

2 replies to this topic
  • TJ_Dicker

Posted April 02, 2014 - 05:42 PM

I have a 99 wr400 that I bought from a buddy.  Besides being a bitch and half to start, the bike will stall everytime I try to push in the choke.  I have cleaned the carburetor, replaced the spark plug, adjusted the pilot screw, and messed with the idle screw to no avail.  I've also replaced the fuel.  I don't think the oil is too bad, but I stripped the f-ing drain bolt and I can't get that off now for the life of me.  If I can manage to give it throttle the whole time, the bike will run fine.  But if I lay off the throttle the bike will stall.  Any suggestions?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flyandride

Posted April 02, 2014 - 06:34 PM

Sounds like a typical clogged pilot jet.  Pull it out and clean it and run a strand of copper wire through it.  Make sure you can see light through it.  For the pilot screw, or fuel screw as it's usually called, 2 turns out is a good place to start.  It should have an O ring, a washer and a spring on it, make sure those are all there.  I've found a broken bit of an old O ring up in the hole where the fuel screw needle goes.  Also, make sure the hot start isn't stuck open.  

• Krannie McKranface

Posted April 02, 2014 - 08:22 PM

PUT IN A BRAND NEW PILOT JET

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.