2001 yz426 jetting issues

1 reply to this topic
  • elmo426yz

Posted January 10, 2002 - 08:34 AM

hey guys i need some info about the new FMF Q-series muffler, i usually ride in elevation of 2000-6000ft, what jets and accelerator pump setting settings i need. And the air screw.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hick

Posted January 10, 2002 - 11:44 AM

I had that pipe on my ’01, with stock header, for about three months. I don’t know that the addition of that silencer in and of itself makes enough of a difference to warrant a jetting change, but it might. In my case I put the Q on my ’01 when new then jetted the bike, but I didn’t notice much of a change when I put the stock exhaust back on.

At any rate I ride at 4 to 5 thousand feet and spent a fair amount of time dialing my jetting so hopefully it will work for you as well:

160 Main
40 Pilot
Adjustable PAJ (avail from Sudco) to replace 100 PAJ, I have it set at ~ 85
Stock needle (EJP) at # 3
Idle Mix 1.5 turns out
BK accelerator pump stroke set at 1 mm at the rod (and to hell with the stopwatch method)
¼ turn additional pump delay over stock
And I am running with the Main Air Jet removed.

As for your silencer keep an eye on the four mounting screws that secure the can to the collector. They will tend to work loose over time because the bulk of the can’s weight is aft of the sub frame mount, and the thing tends to vibrate and move about this axis since the mount isn’t affixed to the can (it just wraps around it).

I kept an eye on these screws but ended up losing the thing in a race anyway. I did drop the bike on that side too, I’ll admit, but IMO FMF should have put springs on the silencer to collector connection, ala Yosh, to prevent the thing from wiggling loose.

Hope this helps.

BTW you can call Sudco at 800-998-3529. If you are up for it the adjustable PAJ is very useful, especially if you find yourself running a 40 pilot. Fine tuning this circuit allows you to find easy starting and best idling mannerisms with the fuel screw while curing the popping and surging and low to closed throttle with the (pilot) air screw.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.