Adding extra steel plate in clutch

3 replies to this topic
  • torkd14

Posted April 01, 2014 - 06:04 AM

So my clutch was dragging and no amount of adjustment would fix it. I took the cover off added all new plates and noticed they were sitting pretty low in the basket. I took it apart and recounted to make sure they were all there, which they were. So I doubled the top steel plates and put the last friction plate on top and it's works like new now.

Would this be due to the inner hub being wore out? Also this is in my 2006 yz450. It had a recluse exp 2.0 but the ball bearings wore groves into the aluminium sides and quit working properly. (Only had 50 hrs)

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:27 AM

It's possible that the wear surface of the boss, where the bottom friction plate sits, is worn badly, but that should be obvious to look at it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • torkd14

Posted April 01, 2014 - 10:53 AM

That's what I figured. I wanted to get out for a ride pretty bad so this band aid worked for the day. I have a steel basket on order because the one now is grooved pretty bad. I'll have to get the boss on order too. They sure don't give clutch components away though!!

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2014 - 11:47 AM

No, they don't but the OEM clutch boss is a pretty good deal compared with something like a Hinson.  Not that Hinson isn't an extremely excellent product, it's just that they are almost 4 times the cost of OEM on that particular part. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.