Yz426 shooting coolant

7 replies to this topic
  • flattopwill

Posted March 31, 2014 - 08:04 PM

The coolant system on my '02 YZ426 is over pressurizing and shooting coolant out of the overflow. We have replaced the head gasket twice; resurfacing the head and cylinder each time.

It isn't overheating per my Trail Tech thermostat and the Pro Circuit heat strips on my radiator and head. It overheats as it runs out of coolant but not before. We put a higher pressure radiator cap on and it slowed the spit but didn't fix it.

The only suspect I can think of is if the radiators are clogged. Is there a way I can test their flow? Any other ideas?

Someone help!

• flattopwill

Posted March 31, 2014 - 08:37 PM

Here's a video of it spitting while sitting in my garage. It's worse when riding and won't always do it when sitting. I think this vid was before we put the heavier cap on.

Edited by flattopwill, March 31, 2014 - 08:56 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2014 - 06:44 AM

The only really effective way to check the flow is by removing one tank from the core and pumping water through from the other, so you can see what comes from each tube.  If you are suspicious of the radiators, I recommend sending them off to Mylers in Utah.  Fast turn around (within a week) and great work. 

Then again, it's pretty normal for them to overheat in a woods environment because of the lack of air flow over the radiators.  If that's your problem, and the bike is otherwise mechanically sound, a small pair of fans driven by a battery will solve it.

• jojo1224

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:25 AM

If you remove the rad cap and start the bike are you getting bubbles in the coolant? It will be obvious when you see it, I had my 426 do the same after blowing a head gasket. It would instantly start blowing coolant from the overflow and the coolant hoses would be rock hard.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • flattopwill

Posted April 06, 2014 - 08:27 PM

If you remove the rad cap and start the bike are you getting bubbles in the coolant? It will be obvious when you see it, I had my 426 do the same after blowing a head gasket. It would instantly start blowing coolant from the overflow and the coolant hoses would be rock hard.

Ya it seems to bubble and splash when I rev it.

• jojo1224

Posted April 06, 2014 - 09:09 PM

99% chance its the head gasket then

• flattopwill

Posted April 07, 2014 - 02:59 PM

99% chance its the head gasket then

We've done three head gaskets chasing this problem. Cracked head?

• flattopwill

Posted April 10, 2014 - 10:14 PM

I think this thing has a cracked head. I just got it back from the shop for having some transmission work done and now it's got water in the oil. It's not pushing coolant out of the overflow anymore but now it's pushing it into the oil. I replaced a gasket and O ring near the water pump but I don't think that fixed it. Will know more tomorrow.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.