Help!!! CANT FIND MASTER LINK

21 replies to this topic
  • xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 14, 2004 - 06:14 PM

Im trying to get the chain off my bike and I cant seem to find the master link. I know to look for a clip on one of the links but cant see any so I wonder If it mite have fallen off?? Do you guys know of another way of telling which is the master link??? :) Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• CYBORG

Posted January 14, 2004 - 06:17 PM

The missing link is in your head! It's in the middle of the power band, silly! :)

Just kidding!

I'm not sure about the L, but the R doesn't have a master link. You need a chain breaker.

• qadsan

Posted January 14, 2004 - 06:55 PM

http://www.didchain.com/install.html

• Carlisle1972

Posted January 14, 2004 - 10:35 PM

There is no master because of the power of the pig

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 15, 2004 - 07:11 AM

Huh I never thought of it not having a master link I guess that explains why it didnt come apart on me LOL. I guess I'LL have go and get a chain breaker then. Thanx for letting me know guys. :)

• TORTURECHAMBERS

Posted January 15, 2004 - 08:44 AM

:D How many times did you spin your tire around? Did you go reeeeaal slow too? :) A long time ago I did the same thing.... :D

• irondude

Posted January 15, 2004 - 08:58 AM

I have to admit i snickered when i read your post...but everyone does stuff like that at some point. No matter how much experience ya have. :)

• qadsan

Posted January 15, 2004 - 10:58 AM

but everyone does stuff like that at some point. No matter how much experience ya have.

I did it too :)

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 15, 2004 - 01:14 PM

Yeah I spun it around real slow about 20 times before I finally got too ed off and gave up. lol :D :D

And actually to tell the truth I never knew there were chains that didnt have a master link I think its kind of stupid. Do you guys know if I would get a chain with a master link if it would work on my bike??? Im sure it would but just wanna make sure. Thanx for the info. :)

• Carlisle1972

Posted January 15, 2004 - 02:13 PM

The best one was my buddy looking for it on my pig in the desert to compare sizes with his WR piece ojunk I didnt say anything except its right there after about 5 minutes he came to the conclusion that it was put on backwards :) Crazy smurf riders they will never learn, yes I finially told him

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted January 15, 2004 - 02:19 PM

if I would get a chain with a master link if it would work on my bike???

Yes it would, but I wouldn't worry too much because the good chains now days last a whole lot longer than they used to and don't go out of adjustment much at all, unless your ride like irondude who rides 25,000+ super harsh off road miles a year.

Many years ago I was always breaking my chains down to clean & lube them, but these newer 'O' or 'X' ring chains are wonderful in terms of maintenance. I just keep mine clean and lightly lube them every once in a while.

Many of our friends bikes have chains that are all gunked up from the various types of lube they use along with over lubing them which they usually do at their riding location just seconds before they ride their bike (a lot of good that does :)). When my kids ride with them, their bikes come back with their chains full of goo from being lubed by my friends, which just drives me nuts cause I'm usually the one that gets stuck cleaning them.

• Rokatt88

Posted January 15, 2004 - 03:22 PM

[/QUOTE]

Many of our friends bikes have chains that are all gunked up from the various types of lube they use along with over lubing them which they usually do at their riding location just seconds before they ride their bike (a lot of good that does :)). When my kids ride with them, their bikes come back with their chains full of goo from being lubed by my friends, which just drives me nuts cause I'm usually the one that gets stuck cleaning them.

[/QUOTE]

Boy can I relate to THAT! :D

• irondude

Posted January 15, 2004 - 04:39 PM

I run a masterlink in my chain-even on a 'built' motor under Baja race conditions it works fine. There are a number of advantages to masterlink set ups-you can take the chain/wheel off if the wheel is bound up in barbed wire, or if you want to change chains/sprockets often for different conditions. I do keep a backup masterlink in my tools kit. I DONT use any chain gunk anymore. I run the chain 'dry' with a quick squirt of WD40 after washing, and at the start/finish of each days ride. For sure keeps the grime factor down.

• qadsan

Posted January 15, 2004 - 05:09 PM

...if the wheel is bound up in barbed wire...

:)

Dang, that's hard core and always worries me when I'm riding fast in the desert (that and mine shafts). I've had to lay a bike down quickly because of barbed wire in front of me and I once hit a mine shaft at speed on an 83' IT490 causing me to endo at night which scared the crud out of me, but I've never hit it bared wire at full speed or got it badly entwined in any bike as of yet...whew!

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 15, 2004 - 06:18 PM

Yeah I dont put anything on my chain either just use a wire brush to get the dirt off and then spray wd40 on it to keep the rust away. :)

• irondude

Posted January 15, 2004 - 06:20 PM

yeah- barbed wire wrapped around the rear wheel will lower the torque curve in about 1.2 seconds...but hitting a mineshaft, on a Yamaha IT. Geez---THAT is hardcore. Was it a monoshocker? :)

• qadsan

Posted January 15, 2004 - 07:53 PM

Was it a monoshocker?

Yep, the bike was a monoshocker, but hitting the mine shaft was a mondoshocker :D Fortunately it was dark outside and I didn't see it coming, so I didn't tense up before hand and just flew through the air and tumbled nicely without any serious problems. I still remember being in shock and shaking afterwards while trying to figure out what happened. It was pitch black out with no moonlight, so finding my bike wasn't easy. I found my bike and had a small light in my rear fender tool kit that barely worked, but it was better than nothing. My forks were bent and the bike was unridable, so I had to leave it there and hoof it out. Fortunately, I was able to walk part way back to camp before somebody found me, but I was out there for a good several hours just wandering around in hopes I didn't run into any rattlesnakes, although I remember getting scared by the kangaroo rats jumping out every once in while :)

One time after a big El Niño when there was a huge population explosion of various animals, we seen 14 snakes in two days in the same general area. Maybe it was mating season, but I had never seen so many snakes in the desert in all my life and most were seen near our camp. About half were rattlers and half were red racers. I was bitten by a rattler as a kid in my right leg while squirl hunting in Porterville and just don't like walking around in the brush, especially at night because my mind starts thinking there's a snake in every bush or around every corner :D I still dig night riding though and love seeing the wildlife at night, but that's quite a bit different than walking around in the dead quiet of night without lights :D

• irondude

Posted January 16, 2004 - 11:53 AM

SOunds like it could have been a lot worse.... Those light blue IT monoshockers were da bomb back then.
Ever had one of those El Nino springtime rides when the grasshopper population has exploded? I mean gazilions of them everywhere-you ride along and they are jumping all over the place--i had a big one get caught between the helmet and goggles and it just kept kicking me till i got him outta there. Not sure what it is but grasshoppers freak me out.
Geez- a rattler got ya squirrel hunting--thats what ya get for goin after his dinner!

• XR250rdr

Posted January 16, 2004 - 12:34 PM

The grasshoppers suck! I remember a few years back there were a ton of them and I ended up taking a couple of hits to the throat. :)

• xr650Lroostnya

Posted January 16, 2004 - 03:20 PM

LOL :) :D :D :D

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 8 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.