kmx 125 cdi....

5 replies to this topic
  • RufusW

Posted March 30, 2014 - 08:53 AM

Just out of interest... Are there any alternative CDi's for the KMX? I did some googling but couldn't find anything useful...

I was looking at AR125 CDI's and alternators, they look the same.. Guessing the CDI's timing curve is different, have to admit I was tempted for a while, given that KMX CDI's are expensive and AR125 CDI's seem to be very cheap...

Just to put all this into perspective, this is for an old 'field bike' which I've been putting together more for my own amusement than anything else. It's essentially an '87 KX125 with a KMX 125 engine fitted, it still has the KX carb and reeds.

I havent heard this thing run yet (No spark) - it's a combination of spares that I had kicking around, I have a feeling the KX carb is going to be way too big for the KMX either way.... anyone ever tried to put a KX carb on a KMX? Just wondering if I need to be trying to track down a KMX carb.!

• SS109

Posted March 30, 2014 - 10:36 AM

You could try the Jaguar adjustable KDX CDI which can be found here: http://www.dragonfly...oto/KDXCDI.html As for the carb, what size was the stock KMX carb versus the KX carb?

• RufusW

Posted March 31, 2014 - 11:31 AM

You could try the Jaguar adjustable KDX CDI which can be found here: http://www.dragonfly...oto/KDXCDI.html As for the carb, what size was the stock KMX carb versus the KX carb?

Cheers, I'll have a look... The KX is a 36mm carb, I haven't looked up the size of the KMX carb, I believe the standard KMX carb is 26mm, looking at the inlet rubber I'd say that's about right. I compared the KX / KMX barrels, the exhaust ports are a different shape but not all that different, the inlet on the KMX has a couple of ports blocked off...

I have to say if I was considering a performance upgrade for a KMX i'd say the KX carb is way too big..

• SS109

Posted March 31, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Wow, huge difference. I think, if I were you, I would pick up a PWK 26 or 28mm carb off of Ebay.

• RufusW

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:04 PM

Wow, huge difference. I think, if I were you, I would pick up a PWK 26 or 28mm carb off of Ebay.

Yeah I'm thinking that, I'll try the KX carb on it anyway, more out of curiosity really. I'll keep an eye out on fleabay and grab one when I can.

• RufusW

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:09 PM

I have a scrap KMX barrel.. I might have to try porting it and see how easy it is, I'll have to take some pics to explain this, the difference in the inlet is that the port to the barrel has two of the 'side' ports blocked off. If I opened these out it'd be ported similar to a KX, the exhaust is a slightly different shape but equates to about the same size, Main difference is the KX stroke is a couple of mm shorter and it's bore a few mm bigger..

Probably not worth the hassle really... The standard KMX isn't much off the KX in power (10% down), and is a lot more reliable.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.