sticking clutch plates on A 2006 YZ450

10 replies to this topic
  • 700rScott

Posted March 28, 2014 - 04:23 PM

I was talking to my friend about my issue I'm having with my clutch. It worked fine when I got the bike back in december and now it doesn't disengage the clutch with i pull it in and no matter how I adjust it it still stalls. Do I need a new clutch kit or is there something I can do to get it working again? I drained the oil to do a HD stator and when I filled it back up I put amsoil in so low quality oil isn't an issue.

• seacraft69

Posted March 28, 2014 - 05:49 PM

Could be you have groves worn on the clutch basket fingers. You can lightly file them till they're smooth. The clutch hub can also have grooves worn into it. They are a little harder to smooth out.

• NitrousR1

Posted March 29, 2014 - 08:55 AM

Most likely your basket and hub are grooved, like stated you can file them I'd they arnt terrible. If they are really bad you should replace with a new unit or preferably a billet basket for longer life.

Before ordering any parts id take the clutch apart and measure your frictions and steels and inspect the basket and hub for grooving.

• grayracer513

Posted March 29, 2014 - 12:08 PM

They don't fail that often, but check your clutch springs, too. The manual shows what to look for in the specs section or under Clutch.

• 700rScott

Posted March 29, 2014 - 02:06 PM

Ok thanks guys I'll do a good inspection and hopefully I don't need to replace anymore parts right now.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 700rScott

Posted April 14, 2014 - 06:51 AM

I got the bike running yesterday and took the clutch apart to see what it was. The basket and plates looked good so I put it back together and still sticking. I pushed it down the hill with the motor running so when I shifted to 1st it wouldn't stall and it worked, It freed the clutch up and works fine now.

• 700rScott

Posted May 09, 2014 - 05:50 AM

I guess you just need to put the ride words into google, I googled wet clutch sticking and it looks like it's a common issue with wet clutches, mainly after sitting in the cold but some guys say it happens even sitting for a few days. It looks like I just need to rock it back and forth before staring it to try to free up the plates cause guys are saying if I just pull the clutch in and drop in, I can damage the output shaft splines.

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2014 - 06:50 AM

It looks like I just need to rock it back and forth before staring it to try to free up the plates cause guys are saying if I just pull the clutch in and drop in, I can damage the output shaft splines.

Baloney.  It's not going to be "good for them", but the jolt they get from bouncing the clutch loose is not comparable to running full throttle through a series of potholes.

• 700rScott

Posted May 09, 2014 - 10:11 AM

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying, what about running full throttle through a series of pot holes?

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2014 - 11:17 AM

The thrust impact transmitted to any component of the transmission when the wheel looses and suddenly regains traction under full power, or land a jump under power, is exponentially greater than what happens when you step it into gear at a high idle, even if you completely forgot to pull the clutch in.

• 700rScott

Posted May 09, 2014 - 12:31 PM

oh ok, I got it now. I guess that makes sense and it's not putting much stress just dropping it into first.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.