01 YZ426F will not start, help!

6 replies to this topic
  • fmx09

Posted March 27, 2014 - 05:13 PM

Okay so I just picked up a 2001 YZ426F, the guy I bought it from started it for me twice and after I was able to start it once and then never again since then. I read up on hard starting 426s and followed some of the suggestions. I checked the valves and they were in spec. Then I cleaned the carb. I also made sure to tighten the fuel screw all the way and then back it out 1.25 turns. I also replaced the spark plug. Still won't start and I'm stumped. I am also following the correct starting procedure. I really don't want to bring it to the shop so any help would be amazing.

The bike is stock and I am operating at or below 1500 ft elevation.

Edited by fmx09, March 27, 2014 - 06:21 PM.

• fmx09

Posted June 30, 2014 - 12:13 PM

144 views and no replies, thanks a lot guys :thumbsdn:

• calabogierider

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:28 PM

I am having the same problem with the same bike. Could also use some help

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:43 PM

144 views and no replies, thanks a lot guys :thumbsdn:

Nice guy.

Check spark (needs to be bright blue-white, and jump a 10mm gap)

Check the flywheel index (verify that the piston is really at TDC when the timing marks line up)

Over 80% of starting difficulties with starting a 426 originate in the carb.  Clean it thoroughly.   Just don't separate the upper and lower carb body halves from each other without buying the gasket first.

• fmx09

Posted June 30, 2014 - 01:45 PM

I am having the same problem with the same bike. Could also use some help

Turned out mine just needed a good all around tune. rebuilt the carb and it solved the problem. Starts 1st or 2nd kick every time now.

• calabogierider

Posted July 03, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Nice guy.

Check spark (needs to be bright blue-white, and jump a 10mm gap)

Check the flywheel index (verify that the piston is really at TDC when the timing marks line up)

Over 80% of starting difficulties with starting a 426 originate in the carb.  Clean it thoroughly.   Just don't separate the upper and lower carb body halves from each other without buying the gasket first.

Yes I checked all the basics, I have repaired alot of bikes in the past, this one just doesn't want to co-operate. Good spark, adjusted valve, valves are in time with the crank. I put a CDI on this unit 3 years ago and the bike ran fine, has been sitting since as it is too big for the owner. Just replaced float needle and seat assembly and cleaned carb really well. It was varnished badly. Spark plug gets wet and the odd back fire but that is all it will do. I can not kick it as I crashed my MX 5 weeks ago and am going for surgery soon. I will try replacing plug and pull behind truck. 

I thought this site was to chat about bikes and help each other but it seems people use it like facebook.

Thanks for the reply. I appreciate it.

• calabogierider

Posted July 18, 2014 - 07:20 PM

Thanks for the help guys. We were not performing the proper technique to start it. We got it now, just looked on you tube. Starts 1st or 2nd kick every time.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.