Bottom end kits?

2 replies to this topic
  • dirtjunkie23

Posted March 26, 2014 - 06:29 PM

Ok so im going for it. Im gunna do my first bottom end. There must have been a reason that it wouldnt go into 5th. Even though its working good now im still gunna do it. Besides i bought another 08 yz450 so i can ride one while working on the other. I looked on ebay at bottom end kits. They got wiseco and hot rods. Witch one is the best. Or should i go oem. Also i was lookin at case splitters witch one should i get. Theres a cheep one for 57 bucks and a motion pro for 159 bucks. Or should i look somewhere else? Help me out here guys.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bremer120

Posted March 28, 2014 - 10:56 AM

You can have good or bad luck with any brand of crankshaft. If you can afford it I personally would go oem. Wiseco has got a pretty bad rap and my friend broke the rod on his new hot rods crank after 9 hours on the hour meter. As for case splitters I rented a puller from auto zone for free to split my cases last time. The cheaper the better as long as it works.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2014 - 12:13 PM

I have to agree on OEM.  Hot Rods have a fairly good rep.  I'd never use a Wiseco crank. 

I find that I rarely need a case splitter on a YZ450.  There are leverage points built onto the outsides of the cases that allow pry bars to be used to break the bond of the sealant.  These usually look like rectangular blocks extending one from each case near the center joint, normally one pair in front, and one in back.  They were put there to be used as a pry point on which any damage will be inconsequential, unlike what would happen if you wedged a screwdriver into the sealing joint.  A common "crow's foot" puller or straight bar puller designed to use bolts screwed into the case will press the crank out of the main bearings well enough. 

Heating the left case to 250 ℉ in a controlled environment like an oven eliminates the need to use a case press to reassemble.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.