Gearing my DRZ for everything

I have a 2003 Kawasaki KLX-400SR. As most probably know, this is just a rebadged DRZ-400S. This winter I scored a set of Excels off a -400SM.

I am trying to pick gearing for this thing.

Bike came to me with geared 14/47 with what looks like the original endless 112-link chain. Chain is not perfect and has probably stretched some. But the bike had less than 4k miles on it and I don't think it is that bad.

SM rear wheel came with a 41t sprocket. I gather this is stock (ie the -SM comes geared 15/41 with a 110-link chain).

I gather the -S comes geared 15/44 with a 112-link and the -E 14/47 with a 112-link.

My goal is to be able to swap wheels and go from dirty mode to hooligan in an hour or so, including beer breaks. I would like to use the same chain and same front sprocket and have the each wheel reasonably geared. I realize this will likely be a compromise. Ideally I'd like the greatest spread I can; tall gearing for the SM mode and short for the dirty mode when running the 18" rear.

I swapped my countershaft sprocket to 15t. I cannot make 15/41 work with my 112-link chain in -SM mode. The chain is too long.

I am thinking of buying a new chain and cutting it to 110 links. Unfortunately everything I've read says that means I won't be able to fit 15/44 with a 110-link chain on my -S.

Get a 2nd chain and counter shaft sprocket, you aren't "supposed" to run a chain on more than one set of sprockets as they wear with each other. I run 15/39 on my 400R with my Warp9 setup on it and it still feels like it could use some more gear at higher speeds. Swapping the CS sprocket and putting a different chain on won't add much time to swapping from one setup to the other.

• Like 2

Swapping the CS sprocket and putting a different chain on won't add much time to swapping from one setup to the other.

Knocking the lock washer flat. Torching the sprocket to melt the threadlock. (You have loctite'ed your CS sprocket, haven't you?) Dig out the threadlock. Dig out the torque wrench. R&R sprocket.

Yep, not much time at all.

Can you even get the chain off without breaking it? If not, there goes a good 20 min fiddling with a rivet tool. Best have a pile of master links on hand.

Yeah, I know. You aren't supposed to mix chains and sprockets. But then there are a lot of things in this world I'm not supposed to do.

I'd personally have a separate chain for each set, a few extra masterlinks laying around and keep running a 15 tooth front sprocket. Then on the SM wheels i'd run the 41(Assuming highway use, 44 is its just for playing) and on the S wheels i'd run 47(since i assume they're trail dedicated). That way you have the best of both worlds while still using the same front sprocket. I agree that switching the front sprocket every time you switch wheels is sort of counter intuitive. Just keep a close eye on the front sprocket and be prepared to change it twice as often as the rear sprockets/chains depending on how often you swap between the two.

Edited by k4f5x0r
  • Like 2

Someone local just suggested I use a clip type master to swap between 110 and 112 link chains. That isn't a bad thought. I'm not interested in swapping the CS sprocket though. That's way too much effort for a bike that won't see more then 5-6k miles/year.

+1,  changine the CS sprocket is some work indeed.

• Like 1

Settled on keeping the CS sprocket @ 15t. Will have a brand new 39t rear sprocket on the SM wheels and a 47t on the dirty 18. Will use one chain with 2 clip-style master links and an extra link when running dirty and shorten the chain when romping on the street.

Also ordered the correct SM brake bracket to fix my front brake and the SM chain buffer to try to solve some chain slap I saw when out for a test ride. Was a ~$250 night over here.

Thanks for the input everyone.

• Like 2

Yeah I LocTite the CS sprocket nut, but it doesn't take long to swap it out because I don't use red, nor need a torch for getting it off. The washer does a pretty damn good job of that by itself, not really sure why I put any Loctite on it at all. If you don't want to that's your choice. I guess it depends on how often you're wanting to swap the setups but for me, I'd have a set of sprockets and a chain for each because that's how I am.

Edited by Unsp0kn

I read where you posted on ADV that you do not believe the people that say they are running 15-41 gearing with a stock 112 OEM suzuki chain,   well i am,  and at 4 1/2 on the snail adjuster,   112 links,  15-41 gearing,  you're welcome to come over and count the links,  since you think im lying or making it up or something...

I'll tell you what. In the interest of science I will cut my brand new RK heavy doody chain down to 112 links and then try to install it on the bike geared 15/41. If it works, I will entirely retract my BS assertion that you need a 110-link chain for those cogs.

If it doesn't, I'm cutting it down to 110-links and running 15/39.

Edited by nhbubba

I read where you posted on ADV that you do not believe the people that say they are running 15-41 gearing with a stock 112 OEM suzuki chain,   well i am,  and at 4 1/2 on the snail adjuster,   112 links,  15-41 gearing,  you're welcome to come over and count the links,  since you think im lying or making it up or something...

M8

• Like 1

Gearing my DRZ for everything ?

Here is the ultimate answer.. ?

https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/972833-wide-ratio-gears-but-no-six-speed/

That's cool.. but a little rich for my blood. This KLX is supposed to be a cheap toy. Throwing that kind of goodies on it and it starts to be a real money sync.

I'm going to try the 15/41-15/47 combo on a fresh chain. If it doesn't work, I'll cut a couple links off and do the 2-masters thing and run 15/39 on the street.

That's cool.. but a little rich for my blood. This KLX is supposed to be a cheap toy. Throwing that kind of goodies on it and it starts to be a real money sync.

I'm going to try the 15/41-15/47 combo on a fresh chain. If it doesn't work, I'll cut a couple links off and do the 2-masters thing and run 15/39 on the street.

Yes, more of  something to consider when doing a part or full rebuild....

My E will be getting the Actman gear ratios @ next top end rebuild....

• Like 1

Meh.

I run 14/47 S and 14/44 SM on my Deezer on the same chain, and have for thousands of miles.

Then again, the DRZ is my winter beater/single track hack/sumo hooligan toy and I beat it mercilessly, so I'm not all that worried about "shortening the life of the chain" any. It doesn't seem to care much either.

• Like 1

fttam, that's exactly what my KLX is to me. I bet a 44t in SM mode and a 47 in S mode with your choice of 14-16t front sprockets and the same 112-link chain would work fine. Beat it hard, put it away wet. If it goes boom, worry about it tomorrow.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if I pile that many miles onto this thing. I have a V-Strom 650 in the garage next to it, which is my mile muncher. I see ~20k out of a chain on that thing. If I put 20k on the KLX before I tire of it and sell it, I'll be shocked. ... Call that 2 chains @ ~$100/ea? I can handle that.

fttam, that's exactly what my KLX is to me. I bet a 44t in SM mode and a 47 in S mode with your choice of 14-16t front sprockets and the same 112-link chain would work fine. Beat it hard, put it away wet. If it goes boom, worry about it tomorrow.

Honestly, I'll be surprised if I pile that many miles onto this thing. I have a V-Strom 650 in the garage next to it, which is my mile muncher. I see ~20k out of a chain on that thing. If I put 20k on the KLX before I tire of it and sell it, I'll be shocked. ... Call that 2 chains @ ~$100/ea? I can handle that.

That's where I'm at too, which is why I don't worry about it much. I've got a pair of R1s in the garage and a Husky SMR for SuMo duties, so the DRZ is my beater.

A damn reliable, rock solid, fun beater, but a beater none the less. I've run the same chain (an EK if I remember correctly) between both sets of wheels and sprox for years. The 14/44 is pretty short for the DRZ in SM mode, but it's not like I do any highway on it, and it perks it up for around town hooliganism.

• Like 1