Simple stupid question

7 replies to this topic
  • treefrog

Posted March 21, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Just bought a 99 wr400 and was wondering why the thing is trying to break my leg off every so often. Seems like every couple of times I hop on and give it a couple kicks at least on one of those kicks it will kick me back and damn near break my foot. I pretty much have the whole starting routine down and can get it started within 5 or 6 kicks but the damn thing has me freaked out as to when it's gonna jump back and bust my foot up. Is it just me or is there an issue somewhere? Do I just have to live with getting my leg nearly broken off from time to time?

• miweber929

Posted March 22, 2014 - 04:46 AM

No, you shouldn't have to live with that.

Check your timing, valves and jetting. Get all that stuff taken care of and correct and this should be a two kick bike with little or no fear of kickback.

Mike

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 22, 2014 - 05:09 AM

I believe your year motor has no auto-decompression built in, but can be upgraded to have it, using the next years' exhaust cam.

• yellow ketchup

Posted March 22, 2014 - 06:01 AM

Are you doing the secret handshake? Slowly kick over til it nears tdc, pull compression release and slowly pass through tdc, release compression release lever, allow kickstarter to return to top and KICK. Repeat until running...or buy a hot cam with the auto decompress, install and kick at will

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • treefrog

Posted March 22, 2014 - 07:07 AM

I have the whole secret ninja kicking pattern down but every now and then it kicks back and bites me. It seems to run good and has plenty of power. I definitely plan on the auto decomp exhaust cam upgrade in the near future. Damn bike has me half afraid to kick it hard. That kick back aint no joke.

• yellow ketchup

Posted March 22, 2014 - 07:28 AM

My 426 did that occasionally too. Sadly I think it's just a flaw in the early thumpers. Im usually wrong though

• yellow ketchup

Posted March 22, 2014 - 07:30 AM

I quit being wrong and bought a Suzuki though

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 22, 2014 - 02:57 PM

If it kicks back, that is normal.

You have to pull you leg up as fast as you kick it down to prevent feeling the force.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.