bigger gas tank on yz450f

12 replies to this topic
  • RMBurrr

Posted March 21, 2014 - 02:49 PM

Anyone recognise this tank? seller says he's not sure of the capacity, but that it holds fuel in the bump outs for the shrouds. It's pretty cheap, but want to be sure it's not stock.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Edited by RMBurrr, March 21, 2014 - 02:59 PM.

• RMBurrr

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:27 PM

I compared some pics from other tanks and have concluded that this is a  2008 WR450 tank. 

I think it is 2.3 gallons, and will fit a 2008 yz450f using the WR shrouds.

Is this a common swap out?

• WGP

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:53 PM

Stock

• RMBurrr

Posted March 22, 2014 - 07:11 AM

Stock

Can you tell if it is stock WR or YZ?

• WGP

Posted March 22, 2014 - 07:35 AM

Can't tell , just get the IMS 3.2

• RMBurrr

Posted March 22, 2014 - 07:48 AM

Can't tell , just get the IMS 3.2

I think you're right!

Does the IMS have the best fit out of the 3 aftermarket tank choices? 

Edited by RMBurrr, March 22, 2014 - 07:53 AM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted March 22, 2014 - 08:13 AM

Pretty much, it's not perfect but none of them are.

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2014 - 10:01 AM

Can you tell if it is stock WR or YZ?

It looks exactly like the stock tank off my '06 YZ

• RMBurrr

Posted March 22, 2014 - 11:50 AM

It looks exactly like the stock tank off my '06 YZ

The guy selling it on ebay seems to think it holds extra fuel in the shrouds, but I'm not convinced.

• cowboyona426

Posted March 24, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Pretty much, it's not perfect but none of them are.

The initial install with an IMS tank is a beotch, once the tank and shrouds are on for a while it gets better.  A nice trick is to install the shroud bolt in the radiator first, then install the rest of them and/or replace the shroud bolt in the radiator with a stud (grayracer made a thread on this).

• grayracer513

Posted March 24, 2014 - 09:53 AM

replace the shroud bolt in the radiator with a stud (grayracer made a thread on this).

This one: http://www.thumperta...th-an-ims-tank/

• Zakrad_u

Posted March 24, 2014 - 10:00 AM

I have an acerbis 3.3 gal tank I'll sell if you're interested. It's the one that doesn't use shrouds, whole thing is a tank. Only prob is you would need two small brackets to mount to the rads, unless I can find them.

• RMBurrr

Posted March 24, 2014 - 11:48 AM

I have an acerbis 3.3 gal tank I'll sell if you're interested. It's the one that doesn't use shrouds, whole thing is a tank. Only prob is you would need two small brackets to mount to the rads, unless I can find them.

I'm interested, what are you asking for it? 

is it this one 07-11 ?

2140750147.jpg

brackets would be nice, but I'll check and see if acerbis sells them on the side.

I asked Acerbis, they gave a quick response to my email. Here's what they said:

Are you referring to the angle iron?  I only ask because we do not offer replacement mount kits for all of our tanks and we do not stock individual components of many mounting kits.  If it is just the angle iron you are looking for, I would recommend finding some heavy gauge metal and fabricating one up.  Ill have the guys down at the warehouse take a look no problem at all.  I just wanted to give you a heads up if nothing is found.

Edited by RMBurrr, March 24, 2014 - 01:52 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.