2010 YZ450f Clutch Issues?

1 reply to this topic
  • 3watley

Posted March 21, 2014 - 01:38 AM

The bike starts in neutral with no problems. With the bike running on a stand I can pull in the clutch and kick it down in first gear and as soon as I kick it down in gear the back tire spins with the clutch pulled in. If this is done with the bike on the ground it will go dead. It is very hard to get into neutral with the bike running or with the bike shut off. After I finally get it into neutral and start the bike again I can kick it down into first gear and the back tire doesnt spin. It only spins the first time. It is still very hard to get into neutral. I have adjusted the clutch cable every way possible, I have replaced all the clutch plates with EBC, I have inspected the clutch basket and it doesnt have a nicks or notches. Everything was torqed back to factory specs when I installed everything. I also change the oil religiously. Im hoping there isnt a binding gear in the transmission. Any help will be appreciated.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 21, 2014 - 06:55 AM

The EBC plate set is part of the problem.  The linings are "spongy" when new, and tend to drag a lot until they get used a little. 

As you installed the clutch, I assume that you either did not remove the clutch boss (hub), or that you checked it after you reinstalled it to verify that it turned freely independent of the basket. 

Clutch drag is caused by warped plates, notched boss splines or basket fingers, unevenly settled springs, or improper adjustment.  And by the wrong linings, as noted.  At this point, adjust the cable for a minimum amount of free play, and take it out and run it for a while, see if it wears in.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.