How bad are these valves out?

28 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:03 PM

Those are almost certainly the originals.  Neither of my '06's moved a valve until they were up around 300 hours.  The '03 I had a ridiculous amount of time on it, and never did move one while I owned it.

Once they start, it's not a good sign, though always watch after a valve adjust to see if the clearances are stable or not.  If the valve is seriously worn, they will tighten up in under 5 hours.

• Zakrad_u

Posted March 28, 2014 - 07:03 AM

I was trying to find the shims I needed local, so I called the closest honda dealer. He told me they don't sell shims, but if I brought in as many old shims as I needed he would just swap them for free. Thought that was pretty cool. Gonna get it back together and see what they're measuring now.

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted March 28, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Those are almost certainly the originals. Neither of my '06's moved a valve until they were up around 300 hours. The '03 I had a ridiculous amount of time on it, and never did move one while I owned it.

Once they start, it's not a good sign, though always watch after a valve adjust to see if the clearances are stable or not. If the valve is seriously worn, they will tighten up in under 5 hours.

Really nothing to do other than clean oil and air to prevent them from moving right?

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2014 - 08:05 AM

And clean oil doesn't even help valves that much (they see very little oil).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted March 28, 2014 - 11:49 AM

I was trying to find the shims I needed local, so I called the closest honda dealer. He told me they don't sell shims, but if I brought in as many old shims as I needed he would just swap them for free. Thought that was pretty cool. Gonna get it back together and see what they're measuring now.

I bet he did, those in between sizes are hard to find .

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2014 - 12:16 PM

Trying to picture how small a town would have to be before a Honda dealer found it unnecessary to stock valve shims.....

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted March 28, 2014 - 12:45 PM

Those are almost certainly the originals. Neither of my '06's moved a valve until they were up around 300 hours. The '03 I had a ridiculous amount of time on it, and never did move one while I owned it.

Once they start, it's not a good sign, though always watch after a valve adjust to see if the clearances are stable or not. If the valve is seriously worn, they will tighten up in under 5 hours.

Now you have me paranoid. I thought .01 or .02mm under spec would be about average for roughly 70 hours. I will definitely be rechecking after 5 or so hrs. Hopefully they hold.

• grayracer513

Posted March 28, 2014 - 01:23 PM

Normally, they're fine, and most of that movement early on is the valves "settling in" to the seats with the wear being on the seat.  Odds are you'll find nothing wrong when you recheck, and you can go on your merry way.

• Zakrad_u

Posted March 29, 2014 - 06:27 AM

Trying to picture how small a town would have to be before a Honda dealer found it unnecessary to stock valve shims.....

You're tellin me. I called 2 yami dealers and a kawi dealer before I found some..

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.