Yamaha no spark

6 replies to this topic
  • yamaha17rider

Posted March 20, 2014 - 10:51 AM

I'm ridding a 2007 yz450f i think is bone stock except for the plastics and the air filter

So a little back story i crashed a few times on a hill clime, and the rocks put a miner crack in the staider cover. i jb welded it and my dad put it back together. we when to the dunes the next week or so and when we got there on are first ride bout 10 mins in my cam gasket blows out. so we tow it back making sure not to get any dust or dirt in the engine. when we get it back we cant find the problem so we lossen the cam cover and put the gasket back in. i ride it around a little bit more and the same thing happens again so we get it back and decide to check the oil and there was non in it so we put oil in it ans the gasket back in and when i take it for a test ride every things fine. so the next day we get way out in the middle of the dunes and my bike dies luckly right at the top of a dune. no spark what so ever. so we end up loading it on the front of a sand rail and get it back to camp. We took the coil from a yfz450 and it dosent do anything. when we get home we tare in to it. and find the staider has gone bad. we replaced it and no spark. we replace the coil, sparck pluge and cdi and still no park so we test the staider and its way out of speck so we send it back and get another one that's barley out of speck. i threw it in and still nothing. i cant figure it out and im dieing from not being able to ride!! my dad just orderd a used staider from ebay so were going to see if that helps but if u have any ideas just shoot. please 

thanks 

• Red Mountain Addict

Posted March 20, 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm ridding a 2007 yz450f i think is bone stock except for the plastics and the air filter

So a little back story i crashed a few times on a hill clime, and the rocks put a miner crack in the staider cover. i jb welded it and my dad put it back together. we when to the dunes the next week or so and when we got there on are first ride bout 10 mins in my cam gasket blows out. so we tow it back making sure not to get any dust or dirt in the engine. when we get it back we cant find the problem so we lossen the cam cover and put the gasket back in. i ride it around a little bit more and the same thing happens again so we get it back and decide to check the oil and there was non in it so we put oil in it ans the gasket back in and when i take it for a test ride every things fine. so the next day we get way out in the middle of the dunes and my bike dies luckly right at the top of a dune. no spark what so ever. so we end up loading it on the front of a sand rail and get it back to camp. We took the coil from a yfz450 and it dosent do anything. when we get home we tare in to it. and find the staider has gone bad. we replaced it and no spark. we replace the coil, sparck pluge and cdi and still no park so we test the staider and its way out of speck so we send it back and get another one that's barley out of speck. i threw it in and still nothing. i cant figure it out and im dieing from not being able to ride!! my dad just orderd a used staider from ebay so were going to see if that helps but if u have any ideas just shoot. please 

thanks 

As dumb as this sounds, did you try disconnecting the kill switch?  Here's a thread that you might be interested in and might find useful:

http://www.thumperta...e-power-timing/

:devil:

• yamaha17rider

Posted March 20, 2014 - 11:49 AM

yz490-devel thanks for the thread

as for the kill switch we omed it out and it was fine we also disconected it to no prevail

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2014 - 12:47 PM

To get rid of the easy part first, your cam gasket blew out because your breather tube is blocked of someplace.  That's the black, 1/2" hose coming out of the top of the cam cover. 

Sounds like you're chasing your tail on the electrical stuff.  Start with the stator, then check each component according to the manual, then check the continuity of the wring harness as well.  You're missing something somewhere, or it has spark now and it's not starting for some other reason.

• 2smoke4stroke

Posted March 21, 2014 - 08:59 AM

I most definitely agree with disconnecting the kill switch.

• yamaha17rider

Posted April 01, 2014 - 12:03 PM

Thanks every one for the help. We fix the problem with a stock staider. however i can figure out why the cam gasket blew.  Grayracer we checked the brether tube because thats what we thought it was but it had nothing blocking it.

• grayracer513

Posted April 01, 2014 - 01:06 PM

Well, I did see a 426 spit the cam cover gasket out once when accumulated fuel in the crankcase ignited.  Seems the gentleman who owned it had a habit of leaving his gas "on".

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.