Need help identifying aftermarket cams

8 replies to this topic
  • SC_Spode

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:43 AM

Hey guys,

Helping a friend with a 2006 YZ450F that is set up for flat track and trying to figure out what cams are in it.

He had someone do some work on the engine a number of years ago and they installed aftermarket cams. The exhaust cam has spun the gear on the shaft and needs to be replaced. He doesn't have any boxes, documents, etc that were given to him that identify the cams so I was hoping someone could tell me who they are made by.

The intake cam has the following written on it -

And the exhaust has -

on it.

I've tried looking on different manufacturer's web sites with no luck yet - can't find a match for them.

Thanks in advance!

• SC_Spode

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:53 AM

Well, it appears they are Hot Cams but I can't find anything to identify which model cam.

Any clues?

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:13 AM

Contact Hot Cams and ask them.

• SC_Spode

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:20 AM

Contact Hot Cams and ask them.

Gray - thanks. Already have an email into them and hoping they'll take a minute to answer me.  :thumbsup:

Was hoping someone here might know in case they take a week to get back to me (if at all).

Haven't been able to find anything to correlate those numbers with their part numbers - it would be helpful if they'd publish that info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Yeah, normally the marks found ON a part don't help too much in ID'ing them except to the manufacturer.

• KJ790

Posted March 20, 2014 - 07:40 AM

I memory serves me correctly, those are stage 1 intake and exhaust.

• NitrousR1

Posted March 22, 2014 - 05:08 PM

Those are indeed stage 1 hot cams. Hot cams and many other cam manufactures such as Webb and pro circuit stamp a part number on the cams for identification.
23 is the intake camshaft
22 is the exhaust camshaft

I just went through this with a customers bike that paid for custom ground cams. What I found were just stage 1 hot cams- nothing wrong with them but not the custom ground cams he paid significantly more for. Shoddy shop

• SC_Spode

Posted March 24, 2014 - 10:59 AM

KJ790, NitrousR1: Thanks guys.  :thumbsup:

I've been tied up for several days so I just got a chance to get back on here.

I got tired of waiting for an email response from Hot Cams so I called them this afternoon and that's what they told me - Stage 1 exhaust cam.

Hope it helps someone else.

• SC_Spode

Posted March 29, 2014 - 06:37 AM

Just wanted to post an update in case it's helpful to anyone else -

As of this writing I have not received a reply from the Hot Cams online "Technical Support".

As stated earlier, I gave up and called them. The fellow I spoke to was friendly and helpful - kudos for that but don't waste your time with the email feature, just pick up the phone. They actually have have live, knowledgeable people who answer - how refreshing!

Related Content

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.