Chain & Sprockets

3 replies to this topic
  • MotoAce51

Posted March 19, 2014 - 06:14 PM

All knowledgable TT followers, I look to you for some advice!

I am getting ready for the upcoming season and I need a chain and sprockets for my 09 YZ450. Since I am not as much of a race junky these days (just getting back into the MX scene) I went with an O-ring chain. Now for the sprockets. I was looking towards stock sizes since I liked the bike last season and I am pretty sure it's still stock gearing. Anyways, I used a new dealer since I live too far from any of the places I used to deal with. For some reason the guy kept pushing a 14t front sprocket. He said the 14t is less abuse on the equipment and a better choice up front. He didn't have a larger rear in black to make up for the larger front so they sold me a 49t rear. This just seems like something is off and before I do anything with those parts I am looking for advice on gearing. Should I order a larger rear? Smaller front? I don't know why this is so difficult but I am completely confused.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:52 AM

Take the 14 back to him and tell him to, um, sell it to someone else.  He's probably had it for 10 years and can't get rid of it.  14/49 is the same as 13/46, and it will be too tall for almost anything you want to do with it.  Go get your money back, and tell him to give you what you asked for.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoAce51

Posted March 20, 2014 - 03:53 PM

Ok so I'm not crazy. I am going to get it done. I just wanted to make sure my instinct about the larger front was right. Sweet deal. Thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted March 20, 2014 - 06:55 PM

Ok so I'm not crazy.

What I said was, you're right about the sprocket. :cool:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.