Sprockets/Gearing/Chain for 2003

No replies to this topic
  • mrgem

Posted March 19, 2014 - 07:02 AM

My low-hours 2003 has the original chain and sprockets -- which are actually in pretty good shape.

However, a lot of the riding we do here is technical stuff -- first and 2nd gear. So I am considering changing the sprockets and chain to one that will give me a little better control without a ton of clutch slipping. I'm thinking going from the current 14/50 to 13/51.

I've searched this forum and find a number of recommendations as to brand and style of the drive components, but not a ton of info on gearing that works well in the slow stuff (although there are a number of posts on dual-sport and SM gearing).

Any comments on this gearing I am considering? And will the standard 114-link chain length work with the13/51 sprockets? Assume it will, since number of teeth is the same.

Thanks.

Edited by mrgem, March 19, 2014 - 07:59 AM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.