2009 YZ450 Crank Case Swap

6 replies to this topic
  • brettmac

Posted March 17, 2014 - 10:43 AM

Eh everyone, my first post on here in a while. Just looking for a little feed back from all you fellas who know a lot more then i do. 

About 2 summers ago, my new D.I.D gold chain with about 10 hours on it broke and unfortunately it took a good part of my crank case with it. Ever since then I've tried a few micky mouse solutions including epoxy, welding, and silicon. It broke right where the clutch stem goes into the left side crank case. Kind of a nasty spot alright since the stem rotates when you use the clutch. 

Last year I purchased a used 2007 crank case but have not yet put it on. School kind of took priority over the bike, but I am now looking to getting the ol girl back going again. Just wondering if that case will fit for sure on my bike or not, i know the years match up (made sure before i bought it). And if i should look into doing anything else to since the dealer is going to put the new case on for me. I know i will have to buy all new gaskets as well. It has about 120 hours on it now and still runs solid as can be. Motor has never been touched. I was thinking maybe a top end rebuild? But I'm not sure. Like I said, most of you fellas on here know a lot more then i do. 

Also, how many hours labour do you think the job would take to tare it down? The dealer charges $74 an hour. I know its going to be a wh*re of a price but I really have no other option. 

I attached a picture of my bike from this past summer and the new case.

Thanks everyone. Hoping to hear something back from ya's! Take care.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0052.JPG
  • IMG_0050.JPG

• seacraft69

Posted March 17, 2014 - 11:25 AM

I would use new cam chain and bearings in the cases. If evrything else speced out iwould reassemble and ride.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:28 PM

I could have sworn I have read on here from whom I consider a reputable source, that you should only use matching case half's. I could be mistaken and I hope for you I'm. Again I really don't know if this is true, I just swear I read a thread about it on here.

I would throw a piston and rings, and cam chain in it while it's apart. As long as all els is okay I would run it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jojo1224

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:12 PM

I could have sworn I have read on here from whom I consider a reputable source, that you should only use matching case half's. I could be mistaken and I hope for you I'm. Again I really don't know if this is true, I just swear I read a thread about it on here.

I would throw a piston and rings, and cam chain in it while it's apart. As long as all els is okay I would run it.

You are correct only use matched sets, seems on ebay alot of them are sold separate but they are just screwing you over and making more money. While the bike is apart replace piston, rings, cam chain and check everything else over.

• brettmac

Posted March 18, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Thanks for the input boys. What would be the reason behind not being able to replace just the one? Could you throw in a new gasket or is it because they were machined together?

• jojo1224

Posted March 18, 2014 - 01:03 PM

They are machined together, you can always try but the bores will probably be off centered enough to cause damage.

• roosted1

Posted March 19, 2014 - 01:29 PM

i have tried using I half before on  a Suzuki 2 stroke after breaking a case . motor was never the same always seemed ' tight ' so to speek and didn't have the power it did  before the repair . think cases would be bolted together and  line bored  or drilled , or how ever they do it on a bike engine when being manufactured so they are perfectly the same ,

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.