Scared to buy another YZ450 !

Yamaha YZ450F

38 replies to this topic
  • sean3239

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:36 PM

I have owned a 98 YZ400 (that ate 3'rd gear),a 2004 WR400 (good bike), a 2007 YZ450 (broke a crank),

a 2008 YZ450, and now a 2010 YZ450 that just ate a 5'th gear. I bought another motor that also had a broken 5'th gear. Now a friend has a 2011 YZ450 that has been completely rebuilt because it broke a 5'th gear. Seems to be a pattern! I love the bike, but tearing down transmissions is no fun. I would like to buy another YZF, but have serious doubts about the reliability. Anyone else having 5'th gear problems?

I had a 2006 with broken third gear after about 90 hours and a 2010 with broken 5th gear after about 70 hours which proceeded to take out (damage) half of everything else in the motor.  

• billygildark5007

Posted March 17, 2014 - 06:02 PM

I have a 2011 yz450 with over 200 hours and no problems with tranny. I don't use 5th since I track ride but my motor lives at 2nd and 3rd rev limiter when riding. Expected wear happens crank, valves, piston but otherwise perfect. My buddy did break his 2nd gear on 2012 crf450.

• KJ790

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:27 AM

The transmission hasn't really changed in these bikes from 2006-2013. Most the gears even have the exact same part number. For those that have broken 5th gear, do you spend a lot of time in 5th gear? I know for me personally, I never use 5th gear on an MX track and that is the only thing I use my bike for. I could see how 5th gear would last me forever. Are you guys running through the desert in 5th gear a lot?

• swaldrop

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:54 AM

I never use 5th gear on an MX track and that is the only thing I use my bike for. I could see how 5th gear would last me forever. Are you guys running through the desert in 5th gear a lot?

I was wondering the same thing. If someone removed 1st and 5th from my bike, I would probably never know it. 2nd and 4th could be removed as well and it would probably take me a while to figure it out.

• dirtsurfer614

Posted March 18, 2014 - 07:11 AM

I'v been on Yamaha all my life from the pw80 on. The only problem I ever had out of any of the yz450's is an over heating problems.

09 yfz450r
09 kx450f

• yam314

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:13 AM

I mostly ride MX and Hare Scrambles. Not really a lot of time in 5'th, but i don't know for sure exactly how that gear engages the other gears while moving. The gear had probably been broken for a while, and just happened to lock up the reast of the tranny while i was in the air. It may have been floating around in there for a while. BUT, when I tore the motor down, the piece was on the magnetic rotor. It may be worth your time to pull the flywheel and have a look inside.

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2014 - 10:56 AM

The sliding fifth gear is used to engage both 1st and 3rd, so it gets used probably as much as any gear in the box.

• yam314

Posted March 18, 2014 - 12:33 PM

I was hoping you would chime in Gray. Have you heard of this happening often? And is it true that most of the gearboxes are the same from 2006 on?

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2014 - 02:57 PM

There have been a number of such trans problems that is larger than what was previously common in the '06-'09 models, but still not what I would call "common".  Not at all as common as trans problems on say, an RMZ.

The interesting thing is that when you go down the list of transmission parts in the fiche, you can see that the gearboxes are about 80%+ the same on both the Gen2 and Gen3 models.  The thing that's either intriguing or disturbing is that the third gear pinion, and the 5th gear wheel (output shaft) were two of the only things changed, along with the splines on the output shaft. 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • brettmac

Posted March 18, 2014 - 04:17 PM

You just got bikes that were made on a Monday or Friday

• writebrian

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:23 PM

No, I'm not trolling. It's that I am trying to decide this week whether to buy another 2011 450 or not, fearing that the same problem might happen again, and i was just trying to get more replies about this issue happening with other '10 thru '13 YZ450 owners. It is just very odd, that I have seen problems with 3 different motors breaking this same gear in one week.I first posted that it was 4'th gear, but was later told that it was my 5'th gear (I cannot edit the title of the post).

I am not a transmission expert, and my plan was to purchase a complete engine, and part out my old engine. As you can tell, this thing has me very frustrated, and I am thinking of going Honda, and just wanted to get opinions.

Don't get a gutless Honda! If you leave Blue, Green is the only way to go (although I am Blue for life).

• sean3239

Posted March 21, 2014 - 04:20 PM

I had a 2006 with broken third gear after about 90 hours and a 2010 with broken 5th gear after about 70 hours which proceeded to take out (damage) half of everything else in the motor.  

I should add that I had a 2003 and a 2008 with no gear issues, each with at least as many hours as above. 

• shrubitup

Posted March 21, 2014 - 04:50 PM

I put 188 hrs on a 2007 YZ250F and nothing failed (including transmission). Changed piston and timing chain at 70 hrs. 

• grayracer513

Posted March 22, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Changed out 4th and 5th in my '06 with 300 plus hours on it for the WR ratios.  Here's what they looked like:

4th Pinion:

4thpin_zps02dcd706.jpg

5th Wheel:

5thwhl_zps97add67f.jpg

• NitrousR1

Posted March 23, 2014 - 07:05 AM

Whatever you do dont buy a honda. If you are complaining about the Yz Trans issue at high hours then you won't like the honda maintenance.
Constant valve and crank issues, New valves every 40 hours, cranks at 60 hours. We tried them and the yellow and green bikes numerous times but you just can't beat the reliability of the Yamaha product.

• grayracer513

Posted March 23, 2014 - 07:25 AM

just can't beat the reliability of the Yamaha product.

I was at the races a while back when one of the guys in the club was saying how happy he was with his other-than-blue bike compared to the last one he had of the same brand (not Honda).  He explained that he has had it for two years on "only" 3 cranks.

I couldn't even believe I heard anyone say that.

• swaldrop

Posted March 23, 2014 - 09:49 AM

Every time I buy a new bike I consider other brands and have 'almost' pulled the trigger a few times because of one thing or another that I like about the other bikes. Ultimately though, I choose Yamaha every time (since '03 that is). I've always been able to compensate for or tune out any supposed 'issue' with the bikes with little to no cost. The only variable left at that point being reliability. I can't speak to any transmission issues as I have never had one nor have I heard of any until this thread. I may be singing a different tune if I were in this guys shoes, but for me, nothing even comes close to a Yamaha in regard to overall reliability. 

Edited by swaldrop, March 23, 2014 - 10:37 AM.

• writebrian

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Every time I buy a new bike I consider other brands and have 'almost' pulled the trigger a few times because of one thing or another that I like about the other bikes. Ultimately though, I choose Yamaha every time (since '03 that is). I've always been able to compensate for or tune out any supposed 'issue' with the bikes with little to no cost. The only variable left at that point being reliability. I can't speak to any transmission issues as I have never had one nor have I heard of any until this thread. I may be singing a different tune if I were on this guys shoes, but for me, nothing even comes close to a Yamaha in regard to overall reliability.

Amen

• Joe_Jet

Posted June 20, 2014 - 10:46 AM

You didnt mention, but since you mentioned 2011 I have to assume you are buying used. You are buying used bikes with unknown and unverified history other than what the previous owner(s) tell you. Also don't know your riding habits and how hard you are on the bike. I have never had any problems with any YZ 4 stroke and they have all gone to 100 hours of riding and racing without anything other than oil and filter changes! That's usually when i sell mine.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.