Floated ground help

6 replies to this topic
  • treefrog

Posted March 16, 2014 - 12:11 PM

I have been wanting to convert my 99 WR to DC and have done some research on how to "float the ground" but am still not 100% sure on how to go about it. Can someone please clarify this for me please? 

• KennyMc

Posted March 16, 2014 - 03:29 PM

I have been wanting to convert my 99 WR to DC and have done some research on how to "float the ground" but am still not 100% sure on how to go about it. Can someone please clarify this for me please? 

When I put the dual sport kit on my '07 WR450, I had Baja Designs "float the ground" for $30.  IMO, well worth the $$ to ensure it was done correctly.

• flyandride

Posted March 17, 2014 - 06:42 AM

stator-mod.jpg I have an 01 WR250F and have done it.  Your stator looks the same.  In the picture attached, the arrows point to the wires you cut and connect together, disconnecting from ground.   You'll also have to find the black from the CDI and ground that.  

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted March 17, 2014 - 06:51 AM

Goggle it:

http://www.thumperta...battery-wiring/

• RickyStator

Posted March 17, 2014 - 09:12 AM

you dont have to float the ground if you dont want to, just cant ground the lights and battery to the frame if you dont

• treefrog

Posted March 17, 2014 - 06:43 PM

Basically all I am needing to do is hook up my led tail/brake light. I would like to add turn signals down the road even though they are not required in my state. I would like to be able to run all of my lighting off of the power of my bike and not need a battery. Since all of my lights are led except of course the headlight it shouldn't take much to power them.  Can I even run them off of the bike the way it is without a battery? I was under the impression that I would run into issues running led lights, horn and turn signals off of a/c. I figured if I just switched the bike to d/c I would eliminate some of the potential headaches. Thanks

• exracer2

Posted March 17, 2014 - 08:56 PM

You can run it all except the horn. It will require dc current. I just run a small battery for my horn and charge it once in a while.

Edited by exracer2, March 17, 2014 - 09:01 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.