Breakin oil?

3 replies to this topic
  • Yammer-Hammer

Posted March 15, 2014 - 04:35 PM

Im wondering what oil i should use to break in my freshly rebuilt 2002 yz426f piston and rings. What would be better, my regular amsoil 10w-40 full syn. Or like Joe Gibbs BR30 break in oil

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2014 - 04:42 PM

You asked this question last week: http://www.thumperta.../#entry11437541

How much does JGR want for the super secret formula break-in only oil, exactly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Procircuit386

Posted March 17, 2014 - 10:42 PM

NEVER use full syn oil for break in or even semi syn. The oil will not let the piston rings set right. Use a cheap motor oil like Rotella 10W30. Change oil and oil filter every other ride. Do three oil changes or about 5-8 hours of riding, then switch to your Amsoil (I use there oil, its freakin great)

• grayracer513

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:27 AM

NEVER use full syn oil for break in or even semi syn. The oil will not let the piston rings set right.

That, is simply a complete, total falsehood.  I haven't used anything but synthetic oil to break in any engine that I've either owned or built for a customer for over 30 years, and not one of them has failed to seat the rings, not one has used oil.

Absolute BS.

Do three oil changes or about 5-8 hours of riding, then switch to your Amsoil

If the rings aren't seated within the first 30 minutes, they aren't going to. 

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.