In over my head, lol

12 replies to this topic
  • RMBurrr

Posted March 15, 2014 - 11:38 AM

I just scored myself a 2008 yz450f, had a sled sitting around and decided to make a trade. 

I've been riding a 2001 KX250 for the last ten years, and had found myself getting 4 stroke envy. All of my riding buddies have sweet 4 stroke trail bikes, and every time I jump on one I love that low end grunt power. 

I'm kinda old, and just a so-so rider. I ride single track in  the high rockies of CO, and have always struggled with my KX. I wanna go slow through the rocks, but the KX does not do things slowly for shat!. I'm a clutch riding mofo when I get into the rock gardens.

When the opportunity came up to trade for a 2008 YZ450f, I thought to myself... sweet, a 4 stroke, I'll get that bottom end I want and quit having to ride the clutch. I haven't had a chance to take out the new bike, It's still full blown winter up here. I'll head to Utah soon and try things out in the desert.

After reading up on this bike, I see that I'm probably going to continue to envious of my friends and their TRAIL bikes. I'll try to sell this bike over the summer and get a more appropriate bike for trails.

Until then, I'll ride it as best I can. I'm not sure if it will be any more "slow riding" friendly than my old KX250.

I've found some of the simpler mods that can be done to make this bike a little more trail friendly: 13/51 on the sprockets, soften the shocks up all the way, add a FWW, reroute the crank case breather tube, and add a coolant over flow container.

Did I miss any of the easy stuff?

Anybody want to trade their trail bike?

• ekulb14

Posted March 15, 2014 - 12:32 PM

you missed the biggest trail mod a +9 fly wheel. with that and 13/51 you should be loving your trail 450f

• tang426

Posted March 15, 2014 - 12:40 PM

Get a rekluse clutch and you will love that bike.

• RMBurrr

Posted March 15, 2014 - 05:01 PM

That is very reassuring to hear! 

Is the EXP proving itself to be fairly durable? The price is right, but how often do you have to replace the clutch plates.

Auto clutch does sound like the ultimate mod for and old average rider like me.

• tang426

Posted March 15, 2014 - 05:12 PM

I made it two seasons on one but you need to be careful not too run in too high a gear I have an old yz 426 and I'm miserable without the rekluse Flame outs and lots of kicking

• RMBurrr

Posted March 15, 2014 - 05:25 PM

I made it two seasons on one but you need to be careful not too run in too high a gear I have an old yz 426 and I'm miserable without the rekluse Flame outs and lots of kicking

I'm convinced! I'll be getting the EXP, might do the flywheel too. Thanks for the info.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • zeuszuki

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:22 PM

Get a rekluse clutch and you will love that bike.

DO THIS ! One of the guys I ride with has one fitted, he used to stall his bike all the time but not now. I tried it in the woods and its brilliant for just crawling along. That was his only mod on a 2010.

• Mtrain730

Posted March 15, 2014 - 10:37 PM

Fly wheel weight and 13/50 gearing and I'm satisfied with my 2012 in the trail. I wouldn't write of not being happy with your yz in the trail yet. Might have too change a few things but it can be done. I can comment on the rekluse I don't have one. You could also look into the g2 throttle tube if gearing and fly wheel weight where not not enough.

• tang426

Posted March 16, 2014 - 04:05 AM

I can ride like I'm on a trials bike now. Rock gardens. Snoty hill climbs roots ruts all a piece of cake. I feel guilty sometimes it's so easy. Don't bother with the flywheel. Trust me on this one

Edited by tang426, March 16, 2014 - 04:06 AM.

• tang426

Posted March 16, 2014 - 04:10 AM

http://youtu.be/YrAKB5rKEc0. Check this out. This hill is steeper than it looks in vid

• RMBurrr

Posted March 16, 2014 - 06:37 AM

http://youtu.be/YrAKB5rKEc0. Check this out. This hill is steeper than it looks in vid

link not working.... got another one?

• tang426

Posted March 16, 2014 - 06:40 AM

• RMBurrr

Posted March 16, 2014 - 06:52 AM

I found this one, GJ Colorado has some cool stuff!

Edited by RMBurrr, March 16, 2014 - 06:53 AM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.