'10 / '11 broken 4'th gear problems . Is this common?

7 replies to this topic
  • yam314

Posted March 15, 2014 - 06:59 AM

I have a '10 YZ450, that broke the 4'th gear, and ruined a bunch of other transmission parts. So I bought another '11 motor from E-bay. When I got that motor, I found out that the left side case was broken, so I decided to split the case on both motors to swap cases. Then, I discovered that the[SAME 4'th gear was broken in the '11 motor as well! It looks like this is a common problem with these '10-'13 motors.

BTW, do not do any dealings with TERRY HARDISON out of CA. He is the &%$#@! who sold me this motor claiming it was a perfectly good motor. He is currently parting out 2011 YZ450.

attachment=129662:IMG_3116.JPG]

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_3116.JPG

Edited by yam314, March 15, 2014 - 11:21 AM.

• dirtbeater

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:05 AM

If he claimed it was good and it isnt cant you return it, allert eBay or PayPal?

• yam314

Posted March 15, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Unfortunately not, I flat got screwed. He sold it outside of E-Bay, and did not want to do PayPal. I learned an expensive lesson.

He's a POS ! 

But I have a chance to buy a 2011 with a completely rebuilt motor here locally from a buddy for $3500. It was rebuilt because, guess what? A broken 4'th gear ! I am afraid to get another 2010-2013 YZ450f, because I am afraid it will blow up again.

Anybody else out there having this issue? I love the bike, and have not had a single problem with it, until now!

BTW, I will be parting out my 2010 YZ if anybody needs anything.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:27 PM

One guy in my club has either an 10 or 11 and broke 5th on a lake bed of all things lol.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • writebrian

Posted March 15, 2014 - 09:57 PM

Unfortunately not, I flat got screwed. He sold it outside of E-Bay, and did not want to do PayPal. I learned an expensive lesson.
He's a POS ! 

But I have a chance to buy a 2011 with a completely rebuilt motor here locally from a buddy for $3500. It was rebuilt because, guess what? A broken 4'th gear ! I am afraid to get another 2010-2013 YZ450f, because I am afraid it will blow up again.

Anybody else out there having this issue? I love the bike, and have not had a single problem with it, until now!

BTW, I will be parting out my 2010 YZ if anybody needs anything.

Report him for making a deal outside of eBay. You won't get your money back, but you will get him kicked off. They don't take very kindly to going behind their backs!

• yam314

Posted March 16, 2014 - 05:18 AM

Yeah, I think it may be the 5'th gear instead of 4'th. It is the slider gear . Is there any remedy other than replacing the gear and having it break again? This seems to be a weak link in these motors. I always change my oil after every other ride, or every race using Lucas oil, and I have never seen any metal particles on my filter. This broke as I was cresting an uphill step-up.I heard the clunk as the broken part  lodged in between other gears and broke them.

BTW, please don't make this post about the E-bay deal.

Edited by yam314, March 16, 2014 - 03:52 PM.

• f150jokerstyle

Posted March 16, 2014 - 02:26 PM

I know of nothing he did but replace broken parts, sorry. So far so good for him any ways.

• sean3239

Posted March 17, 2014 - 05:59 PM

Yeah, I think it may be the 5'th gear instead of 4'th. It is the slider gear . Is there any remedy other than replacing the gear and having it break again? This seems to be a weak link in these motors. I always change my oil after every other ride, or every race using Lucas oil, and I have never seen any metal particles on my filter. This broke as I was cresting an uphill step-up.I heard the clunk as the broken part  lodged in between other gears and broke them.

BTW, please don't make this post about the E-bay deal.

Same thing happened to me (2010 YZ450) going off the face of a big table, fifth gear came apart. Luckily nothing locked up but it took out half the motor. At first thought it was a rock hitting the shock spring, that's what it sounded like anyway. 

Edited by sean3239, March 17, 2014 - 06:00 PM.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.