Cam break in

2 replies to this topic
  • ToyotaYamaha

Posted March 15, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Hey guys new to the site! I've recently rebuilt my yz450f from crank up and decided to spring for the stage 2 hot cams along with all new internals. I know there's a little bit of controversy on how to probably break in a engine after rebuild but is there a right or wrong way to beat in cams? Or do it even matter? Looking for opinions. I'm asking because hot cams did put in a detailed way for proper cam break in but piston company's also give a detailed way to properly set rings etc after rebuild and I see a lot off ppl throwing that advice out the window and riding it like its a rental lol thanks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:06 AM

Cam grinders for cars normally specify keeping the engine at 2000 RPM or over for the first 20 minutes of operation. Since your 450 idles at about that anyway, there's not much to worry about. Give it about a half hour of moderately hard use and then don't concern yourself any further.

• ToyotaYamaha

Posted March 15, 2014 - 04:47 PM

Perfect! Thanks

Related Content

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.