04 yz450f help me get trail ready

21 replies to this topic
  • joey330

Posted March 14, 2014 - 04:03 PM

Bike is awesome fast touchy. I do not want a flywheel weight as I love the low end torque love riding one wheel and monster hillclimbs. I mostly ride Hatfield mccoy I am experienced track and hill climbs. New to the undergrowth wet muddy trail rides.
I have bark busters so far. Got new tires for trail.

What are some good things to know about this year bike? I have new chain and sprockets.
what can I buy to save me a lot of trouble with my bike? Off topic. What are issues with this year model? I'm dropping my bike off as I am working 100 hour weeks for the next two weeks and need it trail ready when I get off to ride the same day. Fast response much aprreciated.

• Will.A.R.

Posted March 14, 2014 - 05:14 PM

Ive got an 04. For the woods i dropped one tooth on the front sprocket and have a FWW. Dont be fooled, that weight helps tremendously as far as stalls but my bike still hits harder than several other newer 450s on my mx track. on the track I add that tooth back to the front but the stealthy remains. No complaints here and i'm not light weight feller. I also have a set of narrow bars and bark busters for trail use.

• FRANTIK1

Posted March 14, 2014 - 06:44 PM

Skid plate for sure. I would consider a bigger fuel tank in time. Lower  gearing helps a lot but is open to personal preference.

FWW is for sure the best thing I did to my 09. I have not had a flameout since I installed it 2 seasons ago. It only adds to offroad performance. Takes nothing away.

• joey330

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:42 PM

The stalls are unbelievable yes and my foot could use a break. Harder then heck to start after to. What is the reason for the common Unpredictable stalls? I'm getting the Clarke 2.6 gallon tank installed this week. Hare going 5 miles to just ride one double black to ride back to fill my tank kinda kills it

• joey330

Posted March 14, 2014 - 11:45 PM

What kinda of skid plate? What about crash bars like a street bike to protect my case from drops and falls? Oversized radiatoe? Or does bike stay pretty cool? Rad gaurds? Those important or stock fine? 8 not made of money so wanna go semi slow but be well prepared for my hill climb comp in two weeks then my hard trail riding after

• FRANTIK1

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:37 AM

What kinda of skid plate? What about crash bars like a street bike to protect my case from drops and falls? Oversized radiatoe? Or does bike stay pretty cool? Rad gaurds? Those important or stock fine? 8 not made of money so wanna go semi slow but be well prepared for my hill climb comp in two weeks then my hard trail riding after

Radiator guards. Yeah. forgot about them. I have yet to put them on mine . I want them for this season.

I have a GYTR skidplate on mine, and if I did it over again, I would have got a Ricochet or Devol. Ricochet is thicker, and I think covers a little more, and is a lot cheaper than my GYTR. I get most stuff like skidplates, handguards, etc fom ebay. Skidplate on my aluminum frame goes on and off easy.  Steel frame skidplate uses clamps..... you might be making up a lotta new words putting it on. But I would not ride tough trail without one. Think of it as handguards for your engine cases.

• FRANTIK1

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:47 AM

Also forgot about a TM designs or similar chain guide. Stock are steel caged and bend easy from rocks. when I replaced my chain and sprockets I bought a stock steel chain guide and it was bent from rocks instantly. Never again.

• FRANTIK1

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:51 AM

. What is the reason for the common Unpredictable stalls? 

Lack of flywheel inertia on a highly tuned, high RPM design engine.

• joey330

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:42 AM

Frank I will be getting the steel one depending on price. I can't afford a cracked case

• riderdietryin85

Posted March 16, 2014 - 03:01 AM

I ride a 03 in the woods .. best investment to date hand guards lol.. I was over heatin a bit in the slow clutchy stough so i did oversized rads and high flow water pump .. also might wana make a catch can for the large vent tube i used a rubbing alcohol bottle and some old air filter foam.. best of luck .. ps i dont wana mess up my bikes snap either so no fww lol 

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmunch44

Posted March 19, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Rekluse Exp 3.0 and Engine Ice

• joey330

Posted March 19, 2014 - 04:08 PM

What does the Rekluse do? I can use engine ice in place of oversized rad and water pump?

Edited by joey330, March 19, 2014 - 04:13 PM.

• joey330

Posted March 19, 2014 - 04:15 PM

So far I have skid plate bark busters. Few other things as well. What else?!? Thank you everyone

• rmunch44

Posted March 19, 2014 - 04:34 PM

Check out the Rekluse website for full details, but no more using the clutch unless you want to and it doesn't stall when you fall over.
Engine ice is a coolant that keeps the temps lower than regular coolant. I noticed that I was overheating on tight single track until I switched to engine ice.

• joey330

Posted March 20, 2014 - 04:21 PM

Check out the Rekluse website for full details, but no more using the clutch unless you want to and it doesn't stall when you fall over.

Engine ice is a coolant that keeps the temps lower than regular coolant. I noticed that I was overheating on tight single track until I switched to engine ice.

Rekluse is a no go. Sounds nice but I am a bit more technical then that. Pretty much cheating I in my opinion.
Engine ice is a go. Anything else?

• yammiehall

Posted March 21, 2014 - 11:49 AM

I have an 03 it's an amazing bike no issues what helps for me is besides a flywheel weight is a Hinson weighted clutch basket and one lower tooth on front. I have never even touched the valves and i race enduro so it is ran hard and never had an issue i do recommend radiator guards also stock radiators are very weak hope this helps

• rmunch44

Posted March 24, 2014 - 10:12 AM

I agree on the radiator guards for sure. I have Unibiker radiator guards and highly recommend them. Check out the price on new radiators and you'll see what a little money now will save you a bunch later.

• Hoosier-Daddy

Posted March 24, 2014 - 05:45 PM

Engine ice, handguards, heavy flywheel, and 13/51 sprockets. Getting the right spring rates on shock and forks and setting sag too. Rides like a totally different bike.

• riderdietryin85

Posted March 28, 2014 - 06:48 AM

I just got mine ready for the summer .. so cant wait

Attached Thumbnails

• 1396018084536.jpg

• yammiehall

Posted March 29, 2014 - 06:43 PM

I just got mine ready for the summer .. so cant wait

how do you like that pewer bomb header?

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.