Highest octane?

11 replies to this topic
  • WrOilFieldTrash

Posted March 14, 2014 - 12:12 PM

I've got a 2013 wr450f and I wanna run higher than the 91 octane rec fuel we get in town, i was thinking like some klotz octane boost to jump it up to say 100 octane. I've got a fmf full exhaust with the powerbomb header pipe, gytr competition ecu with the YZ throttle screw and the power tuner, k&n air cleaner. What are some opinions and will it damage my new motor???

Edited by WrOilFieldTrash, March 14, 2014 - 12:13 PM.

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2014 - 03:27 PM

More octane? Why? If you aren't pinging on 91, you don't need more, and having more won't produce any benefits.  Remember that 91 octane as tested and posted on US gas pumps (R+M/2 method, or AKI) is equivalent to around 96+ Research Octane, and 95 RON is all that the book calls for.

You might get a higher quality fuel than you can buy at the pump, and your performance may improve marginally as a result, but it will not have anything whatsoever to do with the octane number.

• WrOilFieldTrash

Posted March 14, 2014 - 03:41 PM

It's not so much the octane jump I'm looking at, it's that smell that you can only get from higher octane, and if anyone has run klotz they can tell you it smells amazing lol. I see ppl on here saying don't waste your money, well money is not a problem for me or I'd have stuck with a scooter or something else with 2 wheels. Just curious if I'm gonna have premature engine failure from running klotz up to 100 octane or so

• grayracer513

Posted March 14, 2014 - 04:11 PM

Octane in excess of what you need causes no problems whatever.  Fuel of the wrong type, not properly jetted can.  High performance gasolines formulated to be oxygenated, such as VP u4.4, require larger jetting to offset the oxygen content of the fuel. 

If it's just smell you want, by a quart of Maxima 927 and drop a teaspoon in every full tank.  Much cheaper.

• WrOilFieldTrash

Posted March 14, 2014 - 05:42 PM

Ok so with that VP fuel it's leaded is that any cause of concern? And also my bike is FI so I'd just have to get it remapped for the oxygenated race fuel? (There's a lot idk but I thought jets were only on carbs)

• 270winchester

Posted March 14, 2014 - 05:46 PM

post deleted

Edited by 270winchester, March 14, 2014 - 06:00 PM.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Krannie McKranface

Posted March 14, 2014 - 06:04 PM

Ok so with that VP fuel it's leaded is that any cause of concern? And also my bike is FI so I'd just have to get it remapped for the oxygenated race fuel? (There's a lot idk but I thought jets were only on carbs)

No

Yes

• WrOilFieldTrash

Posted March 14, 2014 - 06:09 PM

No
Yes

No and yes to what?? Please do explain

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 14, 2014 - 06:48 PM

No to your first question and yes to your second.

• RockerYZWR

Posted March 14, 2014 - 07:38 PM

Are you seriously just after a certain exhaust smell? Not judging - who doesn't love the smell of burned race gas - just a somewhat unusual goal by itself probably.

• WrOilFieldTrash

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:14 PM

Well no, race gas is refined way more than pump gas, doesn't have all the bs EPA junk in it. I'm thinking about getting some vp u4.4 or the new vpr to try out, I'll have to get it remapped but I have the power tuner so that shouldn't be a problem as long as I can find the maps or maybe someone can help me, (cause Idk shit about this) any info is appreciated

• grayracer513

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:21 AM

... race gas is refined way more than pump gas,

No it's not, it's just a different formula.

Depending on the quality of your local pump gas, you might gain as much as 2 HP from using something like U4.4. If it costs $12/gallon, and you ride 50 hours in a year, averaging 40 mph, and get 20 mpg in the process, that's $800 a year extra for those two HP, every year until you decide to give them up. The right exhaust cam will give you that for a $200 one time expenditure.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.