New 09' WR 450 Owner!

17 replies to this topic
  • qck95z28

Posted March 12, 2014 - 03:51 PM

Hey guys! My name's Tyler. I have been a member for quite some time now, I use to have a 09 DRZ 400SM but sold it. Anyhow, I couldn't live without one (3 Years) and just got a new to me WR 450 and thought i would share some photos, and get some advice from you guys! I live in Ohio, and it currently can't make up its mind weather wise, so I'm stuck inside on the web sharing some pics with you guys. Oh yea, and I just got it plated today!!!!

Mods - I know there are lots of questions here so, if this is in the wrong section please feel free to move it to the appropriate spot.

Just a few mods i have done are as follows:

• Warp 9 17's with contiforce SM Tires & the factory dirt wheels
  • Hot Cams Stage 3 Intake and Exhaust Cams
  • FMF MegaBomb Header
  • FMF Ti Powercore "Silencer"
  • CV4 Hoses
  • Vapor Speedo - Looking to move mount into factory location, Any advice/opinion/options? Also seems to be about 10 MPH Fast at 55 acording to phone GPS. Any fix for this?
  • Cant remember the lighting kit.... Something "Barely Legal"
  • TPS is unplugged to get rid of the ignition cutting out going down the road.

Need to know / Do:

• Kick Stand - Whats the best option for the sumo setup? Stock stand is too long.
  • Suspension - Its stock..and i weigh ~ 220. I need alot of help here as i know nothing about bike suspension.
  • Grey wire mod, pulled the headlight, but cannont find the harness.
  • Vapor Speedo - Looking to move mount into factory location, Any advice/opinion/options? Also seems to be about 10 MPH Fast at 55
  • Best tight sumo/ Kart track gearing
  • Best Street Sumo Gearing
  • Best trail Gearing?
  • Going to Silver Lake Sand Dunes In July - Paddle tire or knobbie? Gearing for sand?
  • Best barkbusters?

Have a look! Tell me what you think! 20140309_160703.jpg

Never posted photos before, i hope they work.20140309_160703.jpg 20140309_130545.jpg

• RMK800

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Grey wire is located behind the left antifreeze number plate. Don't cut it, us a pic and lift the small plastic up then push the grey wire connector out.

• RMK800

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:31 PM

I really like the enduro engineering debris deflectors. Not overly bulky and you can get them in black or silver bars with many different colors.

http://www.rockymoun...bris-Deflectors

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1394677857.640772.jpg

• RMK800

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:33 PM

Another example.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1394677976.624016.jpg

• stevethe

Posted March 12, 2014 - 06:38 PM

Cut the kick stand and have it welded.

Do race tech gold valves in the fork and shock. The stock forks are dangerous.

Mount the vapor to the stock bracket with spacers and bolts. I did. Set the circumference of the tire. Read the directions.

Hot cams stage three ? Are you running YZ cams ? They only make a stage one for a WR.

• qck95z28

Posted March 12, 2014 - 07:38 PM

That bike looks amazing, is it yours? Any reason you would choose to go with a bar mount style over a triple clamp mount?

Thanks for the info on the grey wire. I'm unsure how i was reading it was behind the headlight wiring. I will de-pin that tomorrow when i get home from work.

Cut the kick stand and have it welded.

Do race tech gold valves in the fork and shock. The stock forks are dangerous.

Mount the vapor to the stock bracket with spacers and bolts. I did. Set the circumference of the tire. Read the directions.

Hot cams stage three ? Are you running YZ cams ? They only make a stage one for a WR.

How does the kickstand do when cut for the dirt tire setup? How much do i cut, 1 inch? Im assuming i would have to buy another stand for dirt use at that time?

The vapor simply just lines up? Just needs spacers and it goes into the stock location, Cool!

I'm certain that the box is labled stage 3, for each camshaft. I will get into the attic tomorrow and take a quick look, and report back the part numbers, it even has the set valve lash written down from the tech from the install. Bike starts first kick with no need to use the decompression lever.

As far as the speedo not reading correctly, i will read the manual tommorow to setup the circumference. I was thinking it was maybe just a commom problem. These thing are packed with features for the price though.

Thank you for the info!

• RMK800

Posted March 12, 2014 - 09:53 PM

That bike looks amazing, is it yours? Any reason you would choose to go with a bar mount style over a triple clamp mount?
Thanks for the info on the grey wire. I'm unsure how i was reading it was behind the headlight wiring. I will de-pin that tomorrow when i get home from work.

How does the kickstand do when cut for the dirt tire setup? How much do i cut, 1 inch? Im assuming i would have to buy another stand for dirt use at that time?

The vapor simply just lines up? Just needs spacers and it goes into the stock location, Cool!

I'm certain that the box is labled stage 3, for each camshaft. I will get into the attic tomorrow and take a quick look, and report back the part numbers, it even has the set valve lash written down from the tech from the install. Bike starts first kick with no need to use the decompression lever.

As far as the speedo not reading correctly, i will read the manual tommorow to setup the circumference. I was thinking it was maybe just a commom problem. These thing are packed with features for the price though.

Thank you for the info!

Man I wish that was my wr450. Loved the graphics, trying to do the same thing to my 2007 WR450.

That bike won the AMA... Here is the info

http://www.thumperta...pionship-wr450/

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the info on the grey wire. I'm unsure how i was reading it was behind the headlight wiring. I will de-pin that tomorrow when i get home from work.

Thank you for the info!

I had to cut my kickstand lower, my bike is lowered an inch front and rear.

You might have to make a bracket to mount the vapor to then put the mount to the stock mount. However I mounted a trail tech speedo directly to the stock mount on my sons WR450.

Bike starts first kick ? Your suppose to use the thumb to start her.

• YamaLink

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:02 AM

For a 220 pound rider without gear....

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS
Recommended Shock Spring Rate: 6.08 kg/mm (use closest available)
Stock Shock Spring Rate: 5.3 kg/mm (stock)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 06:34 AM

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS

Springs are a good idea, but WR450's come with what I call a defective base valve. That allows the fork to blow through the travel. Especially bad with a heavier rider or big brakes. Replace the base valve with a shim stack.

• qck95z28

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:50 AM

I had to cut my kickstand lower, my bike is lowered an inch front and rear.

You might have to make a bracket to mount the vapor to then put the mount to the stock mount. However I mounted a trail tech speedo directly to the stock mount on my sons WR450.

Bike starts first kick ? Your suppose to use the thumb to start her.

I simply had to verify that the auto decompression was taking place, right!? Plus, its good practice to know how well she starts if the battery fails. But, yes that thumb start is nice!

REAR SHOCK SPRINGS

Thank you. Any reccomended suspension component companies you prefer to another?

• qck95z28

Posted March 13, 2014 - 07:52 AM

Springs are a good idea, but WR450's come with what I call a defective base valve. That allows the fork to blow through the travel. Especially bad with a heavier rider or big brakes. Replace the base valve with a shim stack.

Any reading material for me on this defective base valve? And i assume you mean the shim stack is the race tech Gold Valves you mentioned previously.

• stevethe

Posted March 13, 2014 - 10:52 AM

http://www.thumperta...50-base-valves/

Let Google be your friend. The 07-11 WR450 uses a spring and one shim. This should be replaced by installing just shims as the spring sacks out it blows through it's travel. So Race tech sells a valve as do others that uses just shims. Be sure they don't just put a extra shim under the base valve spring. It still sacks out and you end up with nothing gained.

• qck95z28

Posted March 15, 2014 - 11:45 AM

They are YFZ cams. I just went up to the attic to find out.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1394912674043.jpg

• stevethe

Posted March 15, 2014 - 02:28 PM

Four wheeler cams ? Hum. They work well ?

• qck95z28

Posted March 15, 2014 - 06:00 PM

I cant compare it to stock, or even de restricted. But I'd say it pulls harder than my old 03 CRF 450R. I'm extremely happy with the bike.

The only issue I'm unsure on right now is getting oil in the airbox. I need to do a oil change, and check it. If not, looks like I'll be buying a oil/air seperator catch can. Any suggestions?

• stevethe

Posted March 15, 2014 - 08:21 PM

Yes if you add any more than a quart of oil when you change it she'll puke her out into the air box.

• Krannie McKranface

Posted March 16, 2014 - 12:07 PM

Jetting 

Jettting

Jetttting !

45p

ncvs needle / 3rd

50 leak

Leave the ACS valve alone

stock air jet

stock power jet

R&D fuel screw

...and accelerator pump tuning:

1. New 2007+ CRF450R accelerator pump (ap) diaphragm. This is the very short rivet diagpragm. You have to have this.
  2. Stretch the ap diaphragm spring out 15mm longer
  3. soak the ap cover check ball section in solvent to free up the check ball (just do it) till you can hear it moving
  4.   - better yet, install the updated apump cover and parts from CRF'sonly http://www.crfsonly....roducts_id/3932
  5. Install new Merge racing or Tokyo mods ap linkage spring (the oring does not last, and can bind)
  6.  - for the ultimate in -partial throttle response, ignore 3,4, and 5,  and install the R&D powerbowl II kit. Just like Fuel Injection precision!
  7. 40/45/50 leak jet (no backfire screen+ twinair/ twin air / stock filter)
  8. put it all together
  9. lift up your subframe (dead engine) and watch the squirt
  10. it should miss the slide every time, but just barely, and last 1 second (leak jet size)
  11. if you need to delay the squirt, turn the linkage screw (under the throttle wheel cover) clockwise
  12. if the squirt does not shoot all the way into the head, or dribbles or sprays erratically: you need to clean the brass ap nozzle in the intake bell using real carb cleaner. spray the carb cleaner up the angled passage at the back of the carb body under the float bowl cover. Make sure your throttle is held wide open when you do this, cause the cleaner can damage the slide plate seal. Spray, and wait 15 min and spray again, until the spray from the nozzle is good. This could take many sprays if it's corroded. Be patient.
  13. test ap system again
  14. now, adjust your fuel screw. if your fuel screw is not adjusted properly, you will get idle-bog.
  15. set your fuel screw at 1 turn out. start motor. drop idle as low as it will go
  16. now raise the idle with the fuel screw to max idle rpm
  17. if it goes too high, drop the idle with the idle screw again, and repeat
  18. must be adjusted with a steaming hot motor (throttle body must be warmed up)
  19. now adjust fuel screw in 1/8 turns for quick rpm drop after blipping. 
  •  

Edited by TheKoolAidMadeMeSick, March 16, 2014 - 12:10 PM.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.