what high speed gearing are you running?

30 replies to this topic
  • fdme

Posted March 18, 2014 - 06:54 PM

That's tall gearing. I run 15/43 with 17" supermoto tires for street only.

Yeah I suppose. I ran 16/42 with my yz for quite awhile. It would do highways ok but was still quite revy over 60... First is what sucked though since yz 1rst is tall to begin with.

• stevethe

Posted March 18, 2014 - 08:58 PM

Yeah I suppose. I ran 16/42 with my yz for quite awhile. It would do highways ok but was still quite revy over 60... First is what sucked though since yz 1rst is tall to begin with.

YZ's are not the best choice for the street. But a good choice for a road race or supermoto track.

• SurfaceToAir

Posted March 23, 2014 - 07:54 PM

I ended up not putting a 14 on the front after all - The shop mistakenly ordered a 15.. So I put the 48 that I had back on the rear. I would have been at 14/51 but am now at 13/48 - the two are pretty close to each other. The 15/48 might be too tall. And I need a new chain to run the 15/51.

The gearing at 55 is noticeably taller now, but not great- I do wish it was a little taller. For now, it needs to stay at this since I leave Thursday and dont have time to mess with it more. I'll revisit after the trip.

cheers-

Dustin

• Jedmeister

Posted March 24, 2014 - 01:40 PM

Check out Gearingcommander.com

You can work out anything you want to know in no time flat!

Very useful site.

• Nicky_A

Posted March 25, 2014 - 09:27 AM

Didn't mean to be smart about it - when I first got my bike it was 14/42 and would stay pretty low in the RPMs up through about 75 mph.  I went with a 45 rear sprocket for awhile and it was a slight but noticeable difference - maybe 5 mph for the same RPM.  With 13/51, it's comfortable at around 55.  I don't know how the the WR426 transmission gear ratios compare to those of the 450, but you can look those up and get an idea of the difference.  The 450 has a 5th gear ratio of .84:1 - if your fifth gear is numerically higher - referred to as "geared shorter" (say .92:1 or something), your engine will spin faster with the same final drive gearing (sprockets); and if it's numerically lower - referred to as "geared taller" (say .79:1 or something), your engine will spin slower with the same final drive gearing.

If you're really after low-RPM cruising at highway speeds, a 14/42 to 45 or set-up should fit the bill without sacrificing too much off the low end.  Just keep in mind that you can have a lot of top end speed or low end acceleration (good for slow speed, technical riding), but not both to the same extent.  That's why people go with the stock gearing or something close to it a lot of times - because it offers a decent mix of both.  That's also why people change their gearing to match the conditions they're riding.  Keep in mind the rear tire size (circumference) plays a role in this, too - for equal gearing, a taller rear tire equals lower RPM/more top end speed/less acceleration, and a shorter rear tire equals higher RPM/less top end speed/more acceleration.

I have smaller tires (perelli) but im going with the 15 in front which is stock and a 46 in back. its only 3 teeth but im not looking for to much.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SurfaceToAir

Posted April 05, 2014 - 07:26 AM

Quick update.
The 13/48 was better than I had before. Dirt wasn't affected too badly. A little better on the street. We were in Death Valley which has some the technical dirt, but mostly fast roads. On the highway the bike was happier at 60 mph than it had been, but not good for much more. I think it's generally good gearing. Taller would be better for the street.

• Nicky_A

Posted April 05, 2014 - 10:36 AM

Quick update.
The 13/48 was better than I had before. Dirt wasn't affected too badly. A little better on the street. We were in Death Valley which has some the technical dirt, but mostly fast roads. On the highway the bike was happier at 60 mph than it had been, but not good for much more. I think it's generally good gearing. Taller would be better for the street.

I wasn't trying to spend the money on 2 lol but if I get a 14front with my 46 teeth I just bought but for right now its gonna be 15/46. how hard is putting on new back sprocket? any tricks or tips.? thanks

• SurfaceToAir

Posted April 05, 2014 - 11:07 AM

@nicky_a - changing rear sprocket is dead simple. Allen wrench and a regular 12 or 14 wrench after you pull the tire. May need to shorten or lengthen chain depending on what you have now. But it's all pretty simple.

• Nicky_A

Posted April 06, 2014 - 09:19 AM

I need to go buy that big Allen I got an wr426 and it's an 01. And I don't have the 14 mm socket I need either that's the only problem.

• mr2autoxr

Posted April 07, 2014 - 08:41 AM

I have a 2004 WR and run 15/50 gearing on the street and switch to a 13 tooth when I go ride trails only.

The 15/50 gearing lets me cruise about 60mph at 6300 RPM.  I 'think' this is acceptable. Don't know what the max RPM on the bike is, but it doesn't sound like I'm winding it out too bad.

• Parx_400

Posted April 07, 2014 - 11:03 AM

From my experience on a wr400 and two Steel frame 450s, 15/48 is the highest you can go and still have some off road ability. Once you get to 15/45 first gear is too high for just about everything. Honestly if you want higher than that you should look into other bikes. I'm looking into a KTM 625 sxc for my Mid range DS bike. 

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.